Housing & Health Coordinator
HOUSING & HEALTH COORDINATOR
Job ID: 2911
Location: VANCOUVER, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
HOUSING & HEALTH COORDINATOR
Under the direction of a Regional Director or a Housing & Health Services Manager the incumbent is responsible for implementing the goals of BC Housing, Housing & Health Services. Duties include providing assessment and consultative services for applicants and tenants with complex social and health care needs and/or behavioural problems; providing training programs and critical event stress management defusing services; and liaising with regional and community health authorities, non-profit housing societies and co-operative housing groups. HHCs currently registered as RN or RPN or both may provide direct service delivery to clients participating in BC Housing Semi-Independent Living Programs and provide clinical oversight to the Tenant Support Worker staff.
PROVIDES DIRECT SERVICE DELIVERY TO CLIENTS PARTICIPATING IN BC HOUSING SEMI-INDEPENDENT LIVING PROGRAMS:
develops and implements Individual Service Plans which include initial assessment, goal setting, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of progress
provides health management education including both physical and mental health information and support.Examples include: Mental Health First Aid, Diabetes management, knowledge on communicable disease such asHepatitis C, Alcohol withdrawal management, Nicotine replacement therapy, Dialectic Behavioural Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, substance abuse counselling and relapse prevention.
provides medication management, including administration of oral and injectable medications such as Long acting intramuscular psychotropic depot’s or vitamin injections, subcutaneous insulin injections, medication monitoring and side effects, and education to clients.
provides daily living skills training, including skill areas used on a daily basis such as nutrition, menu planning, grocery shopping, meal preparation, dining decorum, kitchen cleanup and food storage, home management and home safety
provides housing, transportation and community resources education in addressing skill areas needed for an individual to make a positive transition into the community.
provides money management training, focusing on skill areas that help individuals make sound financial decisions, both now and in the future, including beliefs about money, savings, income tax, banking and credit, budgeting/spending plans, and consumer skills.
provides self-care management, including skill areas that promote an individual’s healthy physical and emotional development.
provides social development training including personal development, cultural awareness, communication, and relationship management; provides group programming where appropriate
provides volunteering, career planning, work and study skills training, addressing skill areas needed to help individuals complete their educational programs, and pursue volunteering opportunities and careers of interest.
Works as a team with the Tenant Support Workers providing clinical oversight and guidance for the implementation of each individualized service plan
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Eligible to practice nursing in the Province of British Columbia
- Minimum four or five years experience working with persons with psychiatric disorders and complex social and/or health care needs and/or behavioural issues preferably in a community setting.
- As a condition of initial and ongoing employment with BC Housing, the incumbent must maintain current registration with the appropriate professional certifying body.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- demonstrated ability to prepare assessment and consultation reports within established time frames
- demonstrated ability to independently plan, organize, and adapt to a changing workload
- demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities
- good working knowledge of medications usually prescribed for common medical conditions
- good knowledge of the signs and symptoms of common psychiatric disorders
- good working knowledge of the use of psychotropic medications including contraindications, precautions, adverse effects and usual dosage and route of administration.
- good knowledge of non-pharmaceutical treatment options for the treatment of psychiatric disorders
- excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to develop positive working relationships with other agencies and service providers
- good knowledge of signs and symptoms of common medical conditions
- good knowledge of substance abuse and the different types of treatment programs for substance abuse
- excellent assessment and problem solving skills
- ability to provide consultation services, crisis intervention and initiate/coordinate referrals to external agencies for services
- broad knowledge of the role of community health resources and other social services
- excellent knowledge and skills in psychosocial rehabilitation principles
- comprehensive knowledge of the different types of mental health and/or addiction housing models
- sound knowledge and experience working in a multidisciplinary environment
- proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- experience working with a diverse population i.e. homeless population
- preferably experience in delivering training programs
- preferably experienced in providing critical event stress management defusing services to individuals following a traumatic event
- preferably proficiency in all current MS Office Products and other computer applications
- requires travel and to work periodic evenings; transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the position.For positions outside of the Lower Mainland, extensive travel required.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
More search results
Business Development Officer
Queen's University - 314263
Assistant Vice-Provost & Registrar
Vice-Provost, Equity and Inclusion
Senior Advisor: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Wilfrid Laurier University
Regional Executive Director, North
Ministry of Indigenous Relations & Reconciliation