Kearl Logistics & Infrastructure - Camp Coordinator
- Imperial Oil
- Kearl Oil Sands, AB
- Job Category
- Management, Mining, Transportation
- Job Type
The Kearl Logistics & Infrastructure organization is responsible for daily management of infrastructure and logistics requirements for the Kearl site which includes:
- Camp accommodations and personnel transportation services (busing and light vehicle fleet mgmt.)
- Civil Maintenance (roads, grounds and vegetation control)
- Facility maintenance (buildings & critical preventative maintenance)
- Light Vehicle and auxiliary equipment maintenance (preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance and retrofitting of components to support Mine and Plant operations)
- Waste Management (on- site and disposal to offsite landfills & re-cyclers)
- Telecommunication including coordination of 2500 radios valued at ~10M$, CCTV, Genetec access systems, fiber optic networks & telecommunication towers
- Janitorial Services at ~ 150 locations
- Medical & Emergency Services
- Site services including fuel supply, propane supply, water and sewer hauling, and dispensing including operation of the fuel card lock facility and distribution to site ancillary equipment
The Camp Coordinator will work with the Site Services Coordinators to provide planning, coordination and execution of significant work items with ~ 15 service contractor companies. In executing the work the Camp Coordinator will support safety over sight for a portion of the 350+ contractors per rotation, with an opex budget of ~ 250 M$ annually.
Reporting to the Logistics and Infrastructure General Foreman, the primary areas of responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Working with 3rd party service providers to coordinate the safe and efficient delivery of camp accommodations services in a remote site environment. Ensure services provided by camp operators meet all requirements of specification and good quality service expectations
- Leading/participating in the development and implementation of strategic plans impacting site accommodations
- Providing continuous safety leadership, coaching and mentorship to 3rd party service providers to achieve safety performance where Nobody Gets Hurt
- Participating in on-site interfaces demonstrating safety leadership and providing the workforce with on-going safety coaching and attesting. For example, participating in toolbox talks, daily safety meetings, general safety meetings, site walkarounds, LPOs, etc.
- Demonstrating safety leadership by providing on-going coaching/mentorship through hazard identification, behavior observations, etc. Coaching workers and supervisors on the use of safety tools
- Attesting, validating and verifying the application of safety tools from the Safety Management System, Work Management and OIMS standards (e.g. work permits, job safety analysis, stop & think, training matrix compliance, etc.)
- Supporting development and monitoring of preventative maintenance programs for company owned assets (on-site camp)
- Collaborating with site work groups to prepare monthly camp room forecasts and supply/demand balances
- Developing annual budgets and steward costs associated lodge accommodations
- Understanding site camp requirements as they relate to the operation of the business and continually looking for quality improvements and efficiencies
- Facilitating regular safety and quality inspections / assessments and audits to ensure high quality food and accommodation services
- Interfacing with guests of camp accommodations to represent and resolve concerns with 3rd party service provider
- Coverage of bus travel and flight center operations, and other duties as required
- 24 hour on call readiness including after hour case management and issue resolution
- Supporting recognition for safe behaviors as required (e.g. spot award, Caught Safe at Kearl, recommendation for Kearl Safety Leader Award, etc.)
- Verifying labor, equipment and materials for receipt of services to support on time and accurate invoice payments
- Developing and complying with Controls Integrity Management System (CIMS) business control requirements specific to respective roles
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is a minimum requirement
- Food Safe certification
- Post-secondary training/education with a focus on accommodation services would be desirable
- 5+ years of on-site experience supporting camp accommodations preferably for fly-in, fly-out operation or other remote site
- Strong safety focus and skilled in safety leadership, coaching and mentoring
- High motivation and ability to deliver superior results with minimal day to day direction
- Ability to work under pressure and react to non-routine situations
- Effective communication, writing and public speaking skills are essential in communicating with clients (site personnel, contractors and service providers) and contractor management and personnel)
- Keen focus on identifying and implementing continuous improvement opportunities
- Proven planning, organization and problem solving skills
- The ability to influence without authority
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Ability to interact at all levels of the organization and across the businesses
- Leadership skills to act as a role model, promoting a positive influence on the work of others through demonstration of technical expertise and effective interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (in particular, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Customer satisfaction focus
Start date: Q1, 2019
Location: Kearl Oil Sands, AB
Imperial offers a very competitive benefits package including salary, health care and savings plan contributions. Imperial provides comprehensive training and supports employees in continuing their learning including a commitment to continuous professional development. Successful candidate will leverage their functional knowledge and skill to provide technical leadership and influence the development of the Kearl oil sands mining project.
This position will be a full time fly-in, fly-out role to Kearl site from either Calgary or Edmonton. Relocation assistance to Calgary or Edmonton is available if required. Bus transportation is also available to Kearl site from Fort McMurray at the beginning and end of each shift rotation for Fort McMurray residents. Kearl operations positions will typically be 11 days on and 9 days off (shift rotations start and finish with a partial-day shift.)
Kearl oil sands operations will provide safe, secure and quiet accommodation near to the worksite for employees working on rotating work schedules. Facilities include a private room/washroom for each employee.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial invests in new technology to responsibly meet today’s energy challenges, reducing our environmental footprint and remaining committed to high safety standards. Our Kearl oil sands operation north of Fort McMurray, Alberta, represents the next generation of oil sands mining, and is positioned to provide exciting career opportunities well into the future. No matter what your career path, we provide the platform to elevate your goals and achieve your ambitions, while providing support through wide-ranging programs and benefits.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit . Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Application deadline: February 15, 2019
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.