SENIOR MANAGER, AUDIT ADVISORY SERVICES
Job ID: 2982
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
Senior Manager, Audit Advisory Services
Audit Advisory Services is a mission-critical function within BC Housing, a provincial Crown agency with an annual budget of $1.28 billion (2018/19), making this role an exceptional career opportunity for a strategically minded and tactically skilled Audit professional who leads by example in achieving results aligned with business goals
Reporting to the Director, Audit Advisory Services, you will develop tools to assess the financial review processes of BC Housing’s largest and most complex housing providers, and implement strategies to enhance financial review and reporting processes in order to provide effective not-for-profit financial oversight. One of your top priorities as Senior Manager, Audit Advisory Services, will be assisting said housing providers in building their capacity to meet BC Housing’s financial reporting requirements, as well as implementing reviews where the financial performance of housing providers needs additional oversight.
Responsible for overseeing a team of four Audit Advisory Specialists, you will provide coaching and supervision, evaluate performance, and facilitate the education and training of staff regarding financial oversight and reporting, while promoting a supportive and progressive work environment.
With a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation, and considerable senior-level auditing or advisory experience in a large, complex business environment, backed by a degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, you have the solid foundation this pivotal role demands.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
As Senior Manager, Audit Advisory Services, you will also demonstrate the following strengths:
- A Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designation (preferable).
- Experience as a Senior Manager or Manager in a reputable auditing firm, or equivalent industry experience in a managerial role.
- Experience in the housing sector or other public sectors that involve funders providing subsidies under operating agreements for various Federal or Provincial programs, plus a sound understanding of financial reporting standards for the not-for-profit sector (preferable).
- Extensive experience as an expert advisor supporting clients in building their financial or operational capacity (preferable).
- Considerable experience in working objectively with various internal and external parties to resolve financial non-compliance issues (preferable).
- Considerable knowledge of budgeting, financial, accounting and auditing functions, and reporting systems, processes and controls, specifically within government and the not-for-profit environment, with the ability to assess the financial performance of not-for-profit service providers.
- Proficiency with auditing standards to be able to deal with external audit reporting issues and interact with partners and other senior audit personnel from external audit firms as needed.
- Proficiency in understanding financial statements, including the notes to financial statements, supplementary schedules, management letters and other memos related to audits, with the ability to recognize areas that might impact BC Housing and housing providers.
- Sound understanding of the context and challenges in which housing providers operate, and the ability to modify BC Housing’s reporting requirements to obtain the necessary assurance needed on their financial statements.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of BC Housing’s mandate, programs, operating requirements, and strategic objectives, and the socio-political environment in which BC Housing operates.
- Ability to develop and manage a comprehensive audit program and develop strategies to improve the business performance and internal controls of the organization by being sensitive to, and cognizant of, varying risk areas for its diverse business operations.
- Ability to manage sensitive financial information and take appropriate steps to ensure any matters identified are appropriately addressed.
- Ability to analyse complex financial matters, assess financial performance, and develop and present courses of action to improve results.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with senior management, government, housing partners and other stakeholders to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to utilize judgment in presenting issues, and provide advice and influence in facilitating appropriate courses of action.
- Excellent oral and written communications, presentation, consultative, facilitation, conflict resolution, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Strong audit report-writing skills.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Sound business acumen and judgment.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff in a team setting.
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now : www.bchousing.org/careers