Kearl Operations Integrity - Plant Maintenance Safety Coordinator
- Imperial Oil
- Kearl Oil Sands, AB
- Job Category
- Mining, Security
- Job Type
Reporting to the Kearl Safety Supervisor, the Plant Maintenance Safety Coordinator contributes to effective safety, security, health, and environmental performance by providing in field direction, coaching, mentorship, support, and consultation to workers and front line supervisors to aid in achieving Imperial’s vision of Nobody Gets Hurt.
- Providing SSHE support to managers, superintendents, foremen and workers in the strategic implementation of Kearl’s Operations Integrity (OI) goals and objectives
- Developing a strong safety culture within the Plant Maintenance team
- Influencing, attesting, validating, verifying and acting as key resource for the application of safety processes and tools from the Safety Management System, Work Management and Operations Integrity Management System (OIMS) standards
- Demonstrating safety leadership by providing on-going coaching/mentorship through hazard identification, behavior based observations, and coaching workers and supervisors on the use of safety tools.
- Supporting the development of content for monthly safety meetings and provide the coaching and mentoring to front line supervisors for effective communication of the content
- Providing support for incident management, care management and classification
- Monitoring and reporting on teams proactive reporting
- Assisting front line supervisor with closure of actions from incidents, near misses, Hazard Identifications, observations and Loss Control Inspections
- Providing leadership, direction, mentorship and support to contractor Safety Coordinators
- Providing problem solving and guidance on day to day field issues as requested by site
- Participating in risk screening as required
- Supporting recognition for safe behaviors as required
- Providing on-site assistance with Emergency Preparedness and Response as required
- Managing numerous priorities simultaneously with tight and conflicting deadlines
- Other tasks as required
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is a minimum requirement
- Relevant industry accreditation or additional education is preferred (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety diploma or certificate)
- At least 5 - 10 years of safety support experience in oil sands, mining or process plants
- Ability to influence without authority
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Experience in Safety Security Health and Environment (SSHE) job family preferred
- Experience in the development, implementation and maintenance of health and safety management systems
- High level of analytical ability and strategic thinking required to gather and evaluate complex information obtained from a variety of sources and to formulate recommendations
- Ability to lead and conduct audits and investigations
- Ability to interact at all levels of the organization and across the businesses
- Effective communication, writing and public speaking skills are essential
- Ability to develop and conduct presentations for a variety of audiences
- Leadership skills to act as a role model, promoting a positive influence on the work of others through demonstration of technical expertise and effective interpersonal skills
- Capability to join the Kearl group on a Fly In Fly Out schedule from either Calgary or Edmonton
Start date: Q1, 2019
Location: Kearl Oil Sands, AB
Imperial offers a very competitive benefits package including salary, health care and savings plan contributions. Imperial provides comprehensive training and supports employees in continuing their learning including a commitment to continuous professional development. Successful candidate will leverage their functional knowledge and skill to provide technical leadership and influence the development of the Kearl oil sands mining project.
This position will be a full time fly-in, fly-out role to Kearl site from either Calgary or Edmonton. Relocation assistance to Calgary or Edmonton is available if required. Bus transportation is also available to Kearl site from Fort McMurray at the beginning and end of each shift rotation for Fort McMurray residents. Kearl operations positions will typically be 11 days on and 9 days off (shift rotations start and finish with a partial-day shift.)
Kearl oil sands operations will provide safe, secure and quiet accommodation near to the worksite for employees working on rotating work schedules. Facilities include a private room/washroom for each employee.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial invests in new technology to responsibly meet today’s energy challenges, reducing our environmental footprint and remaining committed to high safety standards. Our Kearl oil sands operation north of Fort McMurray, Alberta, represents the next generation of oil sands mining, and is positioned to provide exciting career opportunities well into the future. No matter what your career path, we provide the platform to elevate your goals and achieve your ambitions, while providing support through wide-ranging programs and benefits.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit . Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Application deadline: February 20, 2019
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.