Job ID: 2996
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
The Development Manager is responsible for the initiation, planning, design, risk assessment and delivery of a portfolio of complex and diverse social, affordable and mixed market housing, group home and specialized facility developments/projects through all project development phases, from initiation through to warranty inspection and occupancy. The position provides project leadership and coordination to a project team and works collaboratively with project sponsors and partners, including societies, private sector developers, consultants, industry specialists, contractors, government ministries, municipality officials, Health Authorities, First Nations and various agencies in achieving project objectives. Specific responsibilities vary depending on the role BC Housing is playing in each project, whether as a funding/delivery agency and lender (for social housing projects where the Society has a development consultant) or as project manager and lender for directly delivered projects. The Development Manager is accountable for ensuring that all due diligence requirements have been considered and completed, and that the various funding and finance models abide by Provincial fiduciary requirements.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree in business administration, project management, land use planning, or real estate development and financing or a related field
- Certification in Project Management preferred.
- Considerable project management experience relating to the development of multi-unit residential housing, preferably in the non-profit sector market. Experience negotiating issues through influence and persuasion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of project management philosophies, theories and principles, including project scoping, budget development/financial management, scheduling, tendering, quality assurance, risk management and project team coordination
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of real estate property development and construction, and related business concepts, processes and practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of municipal planning; public consultation processes; design, development and delivery processes; project tendering and construction processes; and warranty, handover and operational processes related to real estate development and construction
- Working knowledge and understanding of BC Housing’s housing programs, and development and lending policies specifically relating to the development of social housing
- Ability to coordinate planning, design development, construction and due diligence activities within a regulatory framework for a range of projects, and balance diverse interests, risks and benefits in achieving project objectives
- Ability to analyze and solve complex and challenging issues, strategize options, form solutions, mitigate risks and make effective decisions, using a high degree of judgment and business acumen
- Ability to develop, influence and manage collaborative and mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders/ partners, interest groups and public
- Ability to prepare detailed and complex reports on real estate property and planning, design, development and construction matters
- Effective planning, organizational and time management skills in a complex and fast-paced environment with defined timelines
- Effective negotiation, facilitation, influencing, persuasion, conflict resolution and consensus building skills
- Effective interpersonal, project leadership and team building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, and the ability to communicate ideas and issues with a broad range of audiences, including industry professionals, clients, partners and stakeholders, where there may be diverging stakeholder objectives and opinions
- Advanced computer skills and knowledge of current business applications, particularly complex spreadsheet, scheduling management and project management software
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Valid BC Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Ability to travel
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now : www.bchousing.org/careers