PROPERTY PORTFOLIO MANAGER
Job ID: 3013
Location: VANCOUVER, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
PROPERTY PORTFOLIO MANAGER
The Property Portfolio Manager (PPM) is responsible for the management and control of property management and tenant support services for all directly managed social housing, and in some cases, group homes and market housing within an assigned area. The tenant population is diverse and includes seniors, people with mental or physical disabilities, substance addictions, individuals at risk of homelessness, women and children fleeing abuse, First Nations people and low income families.
The PPM performs some or all of the following responsibilities. The position contributes to the development and implementation of a property management plan for each housing complex that incorporates the facility condition index, characteristics of the tenant population and required/available community support services. The incumbent leads multi-functional teams in delivering a range of programs and services to ensure successful tenancies, the safety and well-being of tenants, and effective operation, maintenance and repair of the buildings. In addition, the PPM may manage activities relating to market-housing properties. The incumbent liaises with multiple government and community stakeholders in resolving property management and tenant issues, and represents BC Housing in tenancy and court hearings. The majority of PPMs will have direct supervisory responsibility for a team of Building Managers and Janitors, and in some cases a Tenant Support Worker. The position may be required to provide contract administration for site representatives in the outer Regions.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration, including university level courses in property management.
- Courses from the Urban Land Diploma Program – Property Management Option or equivalent may be an asset.
- Additional courses in negotiation, mediation or conflict resolution preferred.
- Considerable related experience (minimum 5 years) at a senior level in property management and contract administration, preferably in the social housing sector involving the delivery of social and community based programs and services.
- Supervisory experience required, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Preferred: Certified Property Manager designation (CPM) through the Institute of Real Estate Management OR Real Property Administrator designation (RPA) through the Building Owners and Managers Institute OR Real Estate Institute of BC designation (R.I.(B.C.)
- Valid BC driver’s license and a reliable vehicle required.
- Criminal Record Check required.
OR equivalent and acceptable combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the philosophies, principles and practices of property management, particularly in the social housing sector
- Sound knowledge of current social issues facing tenant populations such as homelessness, mental illness and drug addiction, domestic violence, child protection and ageing
- Thorough knowledge of building structures and systems and an ability to recognize deficiencies and prepare summaries of work required
- Excellent negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution skills and ability to negotiate contracts, mediate disputes and resolve conflict situations
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to plan and coordinate the delivery of a broad range of property management and tenant support services, function as an effective team leader, and make decisions based on an analysis of a range of issues and problems
- Ability to summarize and explain complex program information and funding requirements
- Ability to build consensus with multiple stakeholders, often with conflicting agendas; display tact and diplomacy to deal with a broad range of professions and community stakeholders; and be a socially sensitive administrator
- Ability to travel on frequent basis
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now : www.bchousing.org/careers