- Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
- Job Category
- Job Type
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
This position is in Victoria, other locations may be considered:
Fort St. John, Prince George, Smithers, Williams Lake, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Nelson, Surrey, Nanaimo
Technical Advisor, Climate Change
$68,676.17 - $85,776.92 annually
The Climate Change and Integrated Planning Branch (CCIPB) in the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is accountable for strategic leadership of the ministry’s climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives. The branch provides climate science, policy, and analysis to support implementation of the ministry’s action plan; oversees the Forest Carbon Initiative (FCI); and leads the ministry’s Integrated Investment Planning process.
The Technical Advisor, Climate Change is the Ministry’s representative for inter-ministry and inter-agency climate change adaptation initiatives and issues, providing professional expertise on natural resource management as related to climate change. This position is the technical authority in the adaptation field within the ministry, and oversees Ministry-specific climate change policy, research and projects, develops and supports implementation of provincial adaptation strategies, scientifically based standards, and policy positions to ensure legislation and policy reflects provincial, national and international climate change goals and obligations.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more. Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in a related professional field or equivalent as recognized by the relevant association.
- Registered, or eligible for registration, with the British Columbia professional association as required by the specialty area (i.e. Association of BC Forest Professionals, BC Institute of Agrologists, Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists BC).
- Three years of senior level experience providing leadership and expertise in the development of science-based policy in a government, public sector, or similar highly regulatory environment.
- Experience researching, analyzing and evaluating complex regulatory, technical, program-related or broad cross sector issues and information to assess the impact on policy or legislation.
- Climate change expertise in the natural resource sector.
For more information and to apply online by March 22, 2019, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/58119
Attention: only applications submitted through the BC Public Service’s employment website (see link above) will be accepted.