AUDIT SERVICES SPECIALIST
Upto 2 positions available
Job ID: 3025
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
AUDIT SERVICES SPECIALIST
The Audit Services Specialist provides audit and investigative services that promote economy, efficiency, and integrity in the administration of BC Housing’s subsidy programs. This position is responsible for detecting and deterring fraud and misrepresentations in tenant’s income and asset declarations and other information provided for subsidy programs. The Audit Services Specialist conducts compliance audits under various programs covering a wide variety of tenants and housing providers. Programs audited may be new and/or result from a shifting emphasis on existing programs, and interrelate extensively with several other major programs or cross organizational or regional lines, requiring coordination in planning and execution among the various programs. The Audit Services Specialist also performs internal audits to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and special reviews. Audit recommendations may result in cost savings, program improvement and program/organizational re-alignment.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent combination of education and /or work experience, preferably, in an investigative or compliance role in the public sector.
- Completion of recognized auditing and taxation courses preferred.
- Sound related experience in areas such as compliance auditing, monitoring and investigating financial information, income testing, subsidy or taxation review, preferably in the public sector
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Some knowledge of auditing standards and procedures required in a public sector financial, administrative and systems environment
- Some knowledge and understanding of the legislation, policies and programs of BC Housing is preferred, particularly those affecting tenants and housing providers
- Some understanding of income tax rules, income tax returns and supporting tax schedules in order to audit tenant income and asset declarations
- Ability to independently perform income verification procedures on tenants and report on findings
- Ability to effectively communicate with tenants in a social housing environment
- Ability to review basic financial statements and independently perform reconciliation of financial records, complete income verification audits and report on findings
- Proficiency in accessing and comprehension of several government agency information databases such as BC Online and TransUnion.
- Ability to coordinate work with others, adapt to changing priorities and complete projects in accordance with tight timelines
- Ability to use sound judgment in analyzing problems and in identifying weaknesses and conflicts in policies and procedures
- Sound analytical, problem solving, organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, relationship management, public speaking and presentation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with clients with diplomacy and tact
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computers and MS Office, and ability to adapt quickly to in-house applications.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information and exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to work with personnel of varying skill levels and backgrounds within and outside the organization
- Ability to work efficiently in a multi-tasked environment
- Ability to travel throughout the province to conduct audits and special reviews, if required
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now : www.bchousing.org/careers