Manager, Platform Technologies (Cloud & DevOps)
MANAGER, PLATFORM TECHNOLOGIES (CLOUD & DevOps)
Job ID: 3044
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
Manager, Platform Technologies (Cloud & DevOps)
With an annual budget of $1.28 billion (2018/19) and a portfolio of housing services and programs that assist 107,200+ households in 290 communities provincewide, BC Housing relies on a skilled team of systems professionals and leaders – such as the Manager, Platform Technologies (Cloud & DevOps) – to put in place the technology solutions needed to meet business goals
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Enterprise Application Technology, and drawing on your extensive knowledge of various technology platforms, configuration management tools, and Cloud/virtualization platforms as well as your strong people management skills, you’ll provide expertise and leadership in the following areas of focus:
- the delivery of the organization’s Cloud platform solutions;
- establishing, growing and maintaining DevOps processes within the organization by leveraging automation tools and applications, including services available in Public Cloud, and leading platform provisioning, build deployment, software configuration, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and release engineering processes; and
- managing the Release Management practice, which upholds the organization’s change management policy and standards.
As Manager of Platform Technologies (Cloud & DevOps), you’ll bring to the table a recognized degree or diploma (combined with related working experience) in Information Technology, plus 5+ years’ experience supporting mission-critical corporate applications; programming in a variety of languages; and using a Systems Development lifecycle, preferably with a structured methodology. Success in this role will also be made possible by applying the following:
- Sound experience with enterprise-based technology.
- 3+ years’ experience in a lead or above position, with strong people management skills.
- 2+ years’ experience with cloud platforms, virtualization platforms, middleware and containerization.
- 2+ years’ experience working with Release Management and automation/DevOps concepts and practice, including:
- Software Configuration Management;
- Continuous Delivery Framework;
- Agile and Traditional Software Development Lifecycles.
- Experience with version control software and job execution tools, preferably StarTeam, Azure DevOps and Jenkins.
- Knowledge of/experience with Application Logging, Monitoring, Performance Management such as Dynatrace.
- Related industry certifications (an asset).
- Extensive working knowledge of the following technology platforms:
- Oracle WebLogic, RDBMS;
- Oracle Java/J2E;
- .NET / SQL Server;
- Extensive working knowledge in configuration management tools and configuration as code automation using scripting languages, such as, but not exclusive to:
- PowerShell / Bash;
- JSON, YAML;
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Jenkins.
- Extensive working knowledge in cloud/virtualization platforms containers/orchestration, such as:
- Azure, Amazon Web Services;
- VM Ware, Hyper-V;
- WebLogic, IIS;
- Docker, Kubernetes.
- Broad understanding of web application environments, such as TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, HTTP, DNS, routing, load balancing, etc.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project and Visio.
- Broad understanding of systems technology trends and the ability to critically assess and evaluate those trends as they apply to the organization.
- Ability to create and update technical and user manual documentation.
- Ability to generate and articulate new ideas and adapt effectively to new technologies.
- Demonstrated written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional groups to achieve common goals.
- Ability to assess and enact process-oriented changes to improve IT operation effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex IT problems.
- Ability to plan, facilitate and coordinate the execution of complex sets of activities.
- Ability to provide leadership and work effectively within a team environment.
- Self-motivated/directed approach, with the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and excel under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities.
- Strong project management, organization and leadership skills.
Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.