- FLIR Systems
- West Lafayette,IN
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
At FLIR, we have a simple but ambitious mission: to develop market-leading thermal and sensing technologies which enhance everyday life. From saving energy, to saving lives FLIR is making a real difference in our world.
Our products are used in a wide array of situations to rescue people in danger, detect criminals, conserve energy, navigate safely, provide security around the globe, and protect our environment.
We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
The Director of Engineering will manage the entire engineering team in West Lafayette as well as take on project management responsibilities by leading technical development of integrated systems for missions, including architectural planning, engineering, and logistical analyses. The Director of Engineering will also develop project plans and track cost and schedule on projects, assist in the research, analysis, management or testing duties related to the design, development, integration, implementation, and quality assurance of the system under development. This position will require close collaboration with the Science and Technology as well as manufacturing teams. Responsibilities include planning and tracking your own work schedules.
- New application development
- Product sustaining activities
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 7 to 10 years or more experience in Systems Engineering and Project Management
- Minimum of 5 years of successful and progressive Engineering team management
- US Citizenship and eligible for Security Clearance
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project or other tools to track project cost and schedule
- Excellent verbal, written, collaboration and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to form a vision and implement action plans to achieve that vision
- Positive track record of transitioning technology into products
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology across organizational boundaries to the benefit of our customers and the business
- Define system, subsystem, and component level requirements.
- Assist in creating and maintaining programmatic and technical documentation to insure efficient planning and execution
- Lead a multidisciplinary technical team to develop integrated system products through all System Development Lifecycle Phases
- Lead Technical Reviews (i.e. Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews, Functional Configuration Audits, etc.) to successfully satisfy entrance/exit criteria
- Coordinate and lead verification and validation activities to ensure the system meets requirements, supports operational scenarios, and satisfies any other relevant contractual or derived criteria.
- Lead development of these concepts, or support other projects, to mature the technology and support transition to Product Development.
- Support or lead development of the Engineering Specifications and business case justification.
- Candidate will work closely with product development engineers during the course of the project
- Must effectively interface with various internal and external organizations to support development of sound new feature business cases and monitor the business case health throughout development.
- Experiences in instrumentation control and mass spectrometry are particularly favorable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- High energy, proactive orientation; comfortable in a dynamic, entrepreneurial atmosphere
- Comfortable working with electro-mechanical components and systems
- Some travel to customer sites may be required
FLIR and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
FLIR is an equal opportunity employer.