Senior Communications Specialist
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Job ID: 3165
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
The Senior Communications Specialist provides strategic communications planning, media relations, issues management, materials production, and event management services in support of new housing and homeowner protection programs and initiatives. The incumbent produces a variety of written materials for website, social media and traditional communications and is proficient in online and social media technologies.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree or advanced diploma in communications or relevant discipline.
- Minimum 4 years progressively more complex and responsible work experience in corporate communications, including experience in a government setting and/or with non-profit community groups.
- Strong experience in communications planning, issues management, media relations.
Or a suitable combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of communications, specifically in the public sector environment
- Demonstrated ability as a strong writer and editor
- Demonstrated ability to work with social media platforms (twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to write, prepare and post content to websites (internal and external)
- Strong event management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement communication strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with Microsoft Office tools (especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Good oral communications and presentation skills
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, mediate and mitigate difficult situations
- Ability to work with agencies and contractors
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as a team player
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.