Mechanical Engineer/ Field Engineer - Intermediate
- Markham, ON,ON
- Job Category
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 8500 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Our Ontario Region Design Group is looking for a permanent, full-time Intermediate Mechanical Engineer with experience in water/wastewater treatment and pumping stations, based in our Markham or Waterloo office. The successful candidate would also work at times as a Construction Field Engineer to co-ordinate, inspect, and provide construction administration. We provide design work for all aspects of mechanical design, including both process support and building services, and coordinate with all other core disciplines to provide seamless, multi-discipline project delivery.
Our projects can range from water and wastewater, to co-generation, to biogas and natural gas, to agricultural and food services, to industrial facility support. As a result, we see a large variety of projects and new challenges on a regular basis in sizes ranging from a few thousand to several million in engineering fees. We need Mechanical Engineering staff who can stay flexible in their thinking and provide input and adaptation of their designs over a wide range of applications.
Your design responsibilities would include:
Analyze client technical specifications and requirements in terms of mechanical engineering principles and technology requirements
Lead and oversee the preparation of mechanical system designs, and oversee drawing and 3D/BIM model preparation
Generate, review, and take responsibility for contract documents and specifications primarily as they relate to process mechanical requirements
Interact with core discipline teams (structural, electrical, controls, process), as well as internal and external clients to coordinate and achieve project objectives in a timely manner
Act as a mentor to team-members (both junior engineers and engineering technicians)
Ensure technical communication is clear, concise, and well understood by stakeholders across different levels of management (both internal and external clients)
Communicate and interface regularly with clients as well as vendors and contractors
Your field work responsibilities would include:
- Working safely and in conformance with GHD’s Behaviour-Based Safety culture
- Completing day-to-day inspections and checklists for water or wastewater conveyance, pumping and treatment projects in accordance with client terms of reference and manuals
- Monitoring Contractor work for compliance with contract specifications
- Maintaining project records including diary entries and collecting as-built information, and recording and monitoring contractor progress against the project schedule
- Undertaking calculations to determine Constructor progress; and making payment recommendations
- Monitoring contractor work for compliance with applicable safety and environmental legislation
Taking action in accordance with contract requirements, when non-conformancy is observed
Identifying and making recommendations to proactively resolve emerging project issues.
- Coordinating contractor’s work activities with the client, approval authorities, and utility providers
- Coordinating material testing and supporting commissioning activities
- Coordinating and expediting contractor documentation including shop drawings, work plans, and test reports
Skills, Competencies & Qualifications:
Bachelors of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field
Minimum of 5 years’ of experience within a related industry.
P.Eng in Ontario in process of obtaining
Familiarity with REVIT and AutoCAD is welcome but not required. Experience with NavisWorks is an asset.
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle a wide range of client and project types and requirements.
- Strong analytical, mechanical, and problem-solving skills and ability to work independently
Ability to manage and multitask in a team environment while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail.
Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to effectively express technical information to multiple audiences including clients, contractors, and field staff.
Must hold a valid driver’s license in Ontario and be willing to travel within Ontario and Canada as required.
We offer a professional working environment and culture, opportunities for career progression, and offer competitive salary packages and benefits based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.#LI-TW1