Mechanical Engineer, Intermediate - Design Centre
- Waterloo, ON,ON
- Job Category
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics. Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
GHD is looking for an Intermediate Mechanical Engineer to join our Waterloo office. Our Mechanical Design group provides engineering support primarily to Ontario, but also to the wider network of over 8,500 GHD staff world-wide. We provide design work for all aspects of mechanical design, including both process support and building services, and coordinate with all other core disciplines to provide seamless, multi-discipline project delivery all out of our Canadian design centre located at our national head office in Waterloo. Our projects can range from water and wastewater, to co-generation, to biogas and natural gas, to agricultural and food services, to industrial facility support. As a result, we see a large variety of projects and new challenges on a regular basis in sizes ranging from a few thousand to several million in engineering fees. As a result, we need Mechanical Engineering staff who can stay flexible in their thinking and provide input and adaptation of their designs over a wide range of topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Analyze client technical specifications and requirements in terms of mechanical engineering principles and technology requirements
- Lead and oversee the preparation of mechanical system designs, and oversee drawing and 3D model preparation
- Generate, review, and take responsibility for contract documents and specifications primarily as they relate to process mechanical requirements
- Interact with core discipline teams (structural, electrical, controls, process), as well as internal and external clients to coordinate and achieve project objectives in a timely manner
- Act as a mentor to team-members (both junior engineers and engineering technicians)
- Ensure technical communication is clear, concise, and well understood by stakeholders across different levels of management (both internal and external clients)
- Communicate and interface regularly with clients as well as vendors and contractors
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Bachelors of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ of experience within a related industry
- P.Eng in Ontario
- Familiarity with REVIT and AutoCAD is welcome but not required. Experience with NavisWorks is an asset
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle a wide range of client and project types and requirements
- Strong analytical, mechanical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and multitask in a team environment while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to effectively express technical information to multiple audiences including clients, contractors, and field staff
- Must hold a valid driver’s licence in Ontario and be willing to travel within Ontario and Canada as required
We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic employee owned company, a professional working environment with career development potential, flexible hours and a competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience in a privately held, quality driven and client focused company.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.