REAL ESTATE ASSET MANAGER
Job ID: 3173
Location: Burnaby (Metro Vancouver), BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
REAL ESTATE ASSET MANAGER
The Real Estate Asset Manager is responsible for providing a wide range of real estate services relating to the acquisition, development, management and disposal of land for BC Housing and the Provincial Rental Housing Corporation. The position generates creative and innovative opportunities and brings partners together to support the Provincial Government’s objective of creating social, affordable and mixed market housing, group homes and specialized facilities.
The Real Estate Asset Manager collaborates with non-profit societies, for-profit organizations, faith groups, owners of existing housing, Indigenous, federal and local governments and others to locate, secure and re-purpose available land, and is responsible for undertaking in-depth feasibility, due diligence and risk analyses to ensure that transactions (many of which are of considerable complexity and magnitude) are successful and meet project objectives. The position is also responsible for leasing, property management, real estate administration, and real estate research and analysis; for retaining and instructing brokers, lawyers and other professionals and service providers in fulfilling requirements; and for providing advice and consultation to senior BC Housing staff on all real estate matters.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree in real estate management, development, valuation or financing, business administration, project management, land use planning, or a related field
- Eligibility for certification as an Accredited Appraiser, Canadian Institute (AACI) or Certified Residential Appraiser, Real Estate Institute of British Columbia (RIBC) or equivalent designation.
- Considerable experience relating to the transaction, development, evaluation, and/or management of real estate. Extensive experience negotiating complex issues through creativity, influence and persuasion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of real estate appraisal methodology, real estate administration, real estate development, property management, risk management and construction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of real property law in a British Columbia context
- Working knowledge of the law and government policies regarding the duty to consult and accommodate Indigenous when considering the disposition of real estate assets.
- Working knowledge and understanding of BC Housing’s programs, development, financial and lending policies, specifically relating to the development and administration of real estate
- Knowledge and understanding of project management philosophies, theories and principles, including project scoping, budget development, financial management, scheduling, quality assurance and project team coordination
- Ability to coordinate planning, construction and due diligence activities within a regulatory framework for a range of projects, and balance diverse interests, risks and benefits in achieving project objectives
- Ability to analyze and solve complex and challenging issues, strategize options and make effective decisions, using a high degree of judgment and business acumen
- Ability to develop, influence and manage collaborative and mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders/ partners
- Ability to prepare detailed and complex reports on property and development matters
- Ability to prepare, review and revise legal contracts
- Ability to handle highly confidential negotiations / related information and maintain confidences.
- Ability to use considerable tact and diplomacy in negotiations with property owners, buyers, non-profit lessees and other stakeholders.
- Effective planning, organizational and time management skills in a complex and fast-paced environment with defined timelines
- Effective negotiation, facilitation, influencing, persuasion, conflict resolution and consensus building skills
- Effective interpersonal, project leadership and team building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, and the ability to communicate ideas and issues with a broad range of audiences, including industry professionals, clients, partners and stakeholders, where there may be diverging stakeholder objectives and opinions
- Advanced computer skills and knowledge of current business applications, particularly spreadsheet and project management software
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to travel.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.