Communications Specialist – Community Relations
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST - COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Job ID: 3180
SHORT-TERM (APRX 1 YEAR)/FULL-TIME
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST - COMMUNITY RELATIONS
The Communications Specialist is responsible for performing a variety of communications and community engagement activities as part of BC Housing’s Corporate Communications team, with primary emphasis on supporting communications and public engagement strategies, initiatives and projects relating to Community Relations.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Completion of a college diploma in communications or other relevant discipline.
- Three years well rounded experience in communications, with some experience in the public sector
- Experience in coordinating logistics for community relations events and activities
- Experience in planning, coordinating, organizing and overseeing the production of communications collateral with multiple partners and stakeholders
Or an equivalent combination education, training and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of communications, particularly within a public sector environment
- Working knowledge of communications planning and program/project implementation
- Working knowledge of community engagement best practices
- Some knowledge of the processes relating to social housing development
- Knowledge and skill in working with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Acrobat and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability as a strong writer and editor and strong oral communication skills
- Ability to respond effectively to challenging email enquiries from angry members of the public
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve and mediate difficult situations
- Ability to work with a variety of agencies and contractors
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as a team player
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities at any given time.
- A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as required
- Valid BC Driver’s License, and must meet requirements to qualify for rental car insurance
- Extensive travel required
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.