- Waterloo, ON,ON
- Job Category
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Our Waterloo office is looking for an Architect to join our growing Canadian Operations. This position will support our Engineering and Design group for multi-discipline projects in various industries including water/wastewater treatment, energy, solid waste, food and agricultural, environmental and transportation facilities. The Architect will cooperate and work closely with other members of the multi-disciplinary team, regional team leads across Ontario, Canada, North America and GHD’s global network.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Designs projects and/or review architectural or engineering plans, specifications and contract documents to ensure compliance with government codes, laws and regulations
- Advises Subcontractors on the interpretation of plans, recommends changes when necessary
- Prepares and/or review preliminary designs, working drawings, specifications and cost estimates related to the project
- Provides technical expertise in development or review of policies and procedures in relation to architectural structures and systems and construction/safety codes
- Researches literature and maintain knowledge of current building materials, structural, mechanical and electrical system codes and methods of application
- Reviews Subcontractor's shop drawings to ensure compliance with specifications and contract agreements by checking them for technical accuracy according to accepted guidelines
- Works with customers and Clients to gather facts, defines design and space planning problems, conceptualize possible solutions and secure approvals of proposals
- Reviews product literature, analyzes materials and determines appropriateness for application to projects
- Provides advice and develop design documents to initiate and modify architectural, interior design and space planning solutions
- Performs design drafting including preliminary drawings, working drawings and full detail drawings for architectural works associated with building construction or improvement projects
- Provides finish selections including color palettes, carpet and wall finishes, lighting and other various interior selections
- Technically competent in the use of AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and Microsoft Office
- Communicate and work with multi-discipline project team members to provide quality service to clients to ensure that all documentation conforms to client/company standards
- Design and problem solving using standard engineering methods
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture
- Must have industrial project design experience
- Must be licensed to practice architecture in Ontario (other provinces are a benefit)
- Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills with 3D documentation (Revit) capability
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal (French is considered an asset)
- Highly motivated with interpersonal and leadership skills
- Versatility, flexibility and a willingness to work with constantly changing priorities
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- 5 to 7 years of experience in related structural or architectural modelling and detailing with proven experience with large and complex BIM project delivery
- Expert level knowledge of AutoCAD 2015-2017
- Expert level knowledge of Revit or similar BIM modelling software with a proven ability to manage models and perform clash detection
- Experience with the Ontario Building Code, building energy conservation and barrier-free design requirements
- Experience with Microstation and Navisworks would be considered an asset
- Positive attitude, excellent communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills with ability to work in a complex environment often driven by project deadlines
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is critical to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.