Senior Communications Advisor – Public Affairs and Media
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR - PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND MEDIA
Job ID: 3192
Location: Burnaby, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR - PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND MEDIA
The Senior Communications Advisor – Public Affairs & Media provides strategic communications planning, media relations, and issues management services, counsel and advice in supporting BC Housing’s delivery of social housing programs and services. The Advisor provides consultation and support to BC Housing’s Executive, management and staff in managing a variety of issues; fosters positive relationships with the media; plans and organizes stakeholder consultations; monitors activities of the Legislature; and prepares various reports, briefing notes and communications materials. The incumbent facilitates strong working relationships with the Minister’s Office, housing sector partners, local governments, health authorities and other external stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Communications, Public Engagement or other relevant discipline
- Minimum 5 years in senior level positions within the Communications field, including seasoned experience in the public sector
- Strong experience in communications planning, issues management, media relations, stakeholder relations and public engagement
- Experience in team leadership and an advisory role to other Communications staff
Or a suitable combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the philosophy, theories and principles of the communications discipline, specifically in the public sector environment Comprehensive knowledge of the objectives, programs and best practices of strategic communications planning, media relations, issues management and stakeholder relations
- Ability to create and foster strong working relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders in planning and implementing communication strategies, providing strategic communications advice, and facilitating problem solving in order to manage issues, mitigate risks and achieve results
- Demonstrated ability as a strong writer and editor, and ability to draft concise briefing notes, issues notes and communications plans.
- Ability to synthesize and articulate complex issues, problem solve and facilitate the implementation of effective solutions
- Exceptional oral communications and presentation skills
- A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
- Ability to work with a variety of partners and stakeholders, agencies and contractors
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work independently and as a team player
- Ability to provide strong team leadership on various projects, and provide advice and counsel to other Communications staff in the performance of their duties
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with social media platforms
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with Microsoft Office tools (especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.