Processing Manager - Tool and Die Design and Maintenance
- Samuel, Son & Co
- Job Category
- Job Type
Samuel, Son & Co. is growing! If you're looking for a rewarding career opportunity with a family run, industry leading organization, bring your experience and motivated attitude to Samuel, Son & Co.
Due to our continued success, we are seeking a Processing Manager with the specialization in Tool and Die Design and Maintenance to join one of our team in Brantford, ON.
If you think you have what it takes to become part of our team, contact us today.
Here are some of what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Paid vacation and an annual bonus
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Pension plan with company match
- Opportunity for career growth and stability
Position summary: Manages and co-ordinates personnel in the Toolroom and Maintenance departments, ensuring customer requirements and expectations are met through proper planning, instruction and execution of procedures. Manages projects related to new tooling launches or tooling design changes ensuring successful start-up and operational performance for both the SMB Brantford and SMP Columbia facilities. Acts as a liaison between the Commercial personnel presenting new business opportunities and providing verification that our Operational capabilities can achieve the requested requirements. Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
Manages and co-ordinates personnel in the Toolroom and Maintenance departments, ensuring customer requirements and expectations are met through proper planning, instruction and execution of procedures.
Manages projects related to new tooling launches or tooling design changes ensuring successful start-up and operational performance for both the SMB Brantford and SMP Columbia facilities.
Acts as a liaison between the Commercial personnel presenting new business opportunities and providing verification that our Operational capabilities can achieve the requested requirements.
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
- Ensures priorities in the areas of Safety, Quality and Productivity are maintained at the forefront of all activities performed at the SMB facility by the personnel under his/her leadership.
- Reviews workloads and ability within support groups being managed, to ensure Operational uptime and efficiencies are being met. Updates plans and manpower requirements to ensure workload is managed within scheduled timeframes.
- Prepares and oversees budgets for Toolroom and Maintenance departments, in order to meet performance requirements of the branch.
- Participates in the APQP process, ensuring all aspects of a new product launch or process / part change with impact on tooling or equipment are addressed by required personnel in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide technical support to External and Internal customers by answering questions, troubleshooting, etc., to share specialized knowledge and assist wherever needed to address tooling or equipment performance issues.
- Maintain open communication between all departments and operations by fostering teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Manage Toolroom to ensure new tooling launches or tooling design changes are successful through start-up and meet operational performance criteria. Ensures all tooling is maintained as per PM schedule and any issues impacting customer deliveries are dealt with in a timely and effective manner.
- Key person working with customers and Die Shops on new tooling launches and changes to existing tooling, ensuring timeline and budget requirements are met. Provide customers and die shops with Samuel Die Design Requirements and Press Capabilities, ensuring conformance throughout the die acceptance process and successful launch upon die delivery.
- Provide support to the Samuel Automotive Commercial team in pursuing new business by providing new tooling or existing tooling modification quotes and confirming capability to process on our press lines at both the Brantford, ON and Columbia, TN facilities.
- Lead in the launch of new Tooling at both Brantford, ON and Columbia, TN facilities. Provide support for dealing with any issues encountered during start-up and working with customer and die shop in finding resolution to issue in a timely manner.
- Manages Maintenance department activity with regards to repairs, preventive maintenance, projects and continuous improvement activities to ensure objectives are met and equipment uptime is maximized.
- Ensures all projects involving the building and equipment are executed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain updated plant indicators for review at Operations Review meetings for the Toolroom and Maintenance departments.
- Identify and track all projects related to Continuous Improvement of plant indicators.
- Oversee Quality System performance to ensure system requirements are being maintained and followed through our processes to ensure compliance with IATF 16949:2016 requirements and customer specific requirements, with regards to tooling and equipment maintenance.
- Works with equipment vendors to ensure we maintain efficient processes, as well as, look for opportunities to improve our equipment performance to gain line time.
- Complies with the designated IATF16949:2016 responsibilities, environmental management system, health & safety and company rules and guidelines.
- Ensures company safety policies are adhered to and safe work habits are utilized by all department personnel and visitors. Wears personal protective equipment (PPE) as required at all times.
- Maintains a high standard of general housekeeping consistent with 5S standards.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Possibility to travel up to 20% to the USA.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Post Secondary Technical Diploma / Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Tool & Die Design.
- 10 years of job related experience in Automotive parts supply.
- Previous experience in the steel blanking or processing business would be a definite asset.
- Valid documentation to be able to travel between USA and Canada.