Development Communications Manager
Development Communications Manager
Temporary, full-time position (Jan. 24, 2022 to Jan. 19, 2024) – Guelph, ON
Are you an extraordinary communicator with superior writing and editing skills and experience with campaigns and proposals designed to achieve fundraising goals? If so, leverage your expertise and skills with the University of Guelph’s Alumni Affairs & Development department.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Advancement Marketing and Communications, the Development Communications Manager will work closely with the front-line advancement team, creating “prospect-tailored,” branded proposals and key messaging through the solicitation phase, researching all aspects of the proposal and ensuring appropriate approvals are obtained. Leveraging their outstanding writing skills, the Development Communications Manager will also lead the development of strategic fundraising collateral, such as case for support documents and presentations in-line with current fundraising priorities of the University. The purpose of these documents is to inspire and guide prospects in consideration of major philanthropic support at the University of Guelph.
The Development Communications Manager is an integral member of the Engagement Services team, supporting the department’s ambitious fundraising targets, working collaboratively across the department as they create and manage high-value donor proposals, in support of the University’s funding priorities and AA&D’s goal of attracting $50-million in philanthropic support each year.
In this integral role, the responsibilities of the Development Communications Manager include working closely with the fundraising team to develop strategy and the execution of tailored communication vehicles for specific donors (presentations, briefs, pitch materials, leave-behind materials, etc.), researching all aspects of the proposal to ensure the continuity and accuracy of all key components, and translating complex information into a market-ready proposal tailored to the prospect/donor. Developing a deep understanding of top prospect interests and motivations, the Development Communications Manager will collaborate with team members to develop a visually appealing layout of the created content and utilize page layout software (such as Adobe Creative Suite and InDesign) to design materials and use in-house templates provided by the Marketing and Communications team. The position will also involve collaborating on print and digital fundraising collateral, promotional materials and web content, and supporting ad hoc development writing, editing and researching requests.
To assume the role of Development Communications Manager, you must have:
- University degree in communications, marketing, or related discipline, with five years’ experience in fundraising communications and a track record of securing major gifts.
- Superior writing skills. The successful candidate will have demonstrated, through a portfolio of samples, professional-level writing ability with respect to style, organization and structure, appropriateness to subject, breadth of subject matter and clear understanding of the target audience(s) and presentation of key message(s).
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- High level of skill with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of graphic design, publication layout and publishing processes.
- Excellent demonstrated analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of university advancement and fundraising principles, specifically relating to campaigns, proposals and case for support documents.
- Familiarity with CRA guidelines and ethical fundraising procedures as they apply to major gift fundraising in the post-secondary sector.
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to think and act quickly, effectively, and resourcefully under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion, and good judgement.
This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but will be initially fulfilled both remotely (off-campus) and on-campus until the University resumes its regular operations.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting of this Development Communications Manager role, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2021-0677, must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Apply for Development Communications Manager
Already uploaded your Resume? Sign in to apply instantly