GreenCentre Canada provides scientific expertise and services to meaningfully impact the speed to market of next generation sustainable products and processes, working closely with both entrepreneurs and industry to de-risk and commercialize their technologies.
At GreenCentre, we value a work-life balance and offer employees flexible working arrangements (as the role allows), competitive compensation, a benefits program including medical, paramedical and dental without a probation period, and paid time off, including vacation and sick time. GreenCentre values equity, diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
We are currently recruiting a 12-month contract position with a flexible start date of March 1st, 2022 for a Development Scientist specializing in organometallic chemistry, for our location at Innovation Park, Kingston, Ontario.
Contract Development Scientist – candidates must have at minimum a PhD, or a MSc with 5+ years of industrial experience, in synthetic organometallic chemistry with preference given to experience in atomic layer deposition (ALD) precursor synthesis. Postdoctoral or industrial experience including project management is a strong asset.
All candidates must be highly flexible and capable of managing complex schedules. Detailed qualification and responsibility description appears below. Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications. In the cover letter, please describe the extent of your experience in each of the following areas:
- Organometallic chemistry with particular emphasis on ALD precursor synthesis and safely handling air-sensitive/pyrophoric reagents using gloveboxes and Schlenk line techniques. Provide details on the range of materials synthesized, and characterization expertise.
- Experience with experimental design and successful scale-up.
- Ability to work efficiently, safely and cooperatively in a laboratory environment and keeping excellent records of work performed.
- Experience in characterization methods, including but not limited to NMR and FT-IR spectroscopy, thermal analysis including TGA/DSC, gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and surface analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbally, ideas and results to all levels of understanding.
Interested individuals should submit their resume and cover letter by 5:00 pm on February 4th, 2022.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank you for your interest, but please note that only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work safely – following laboratory procedures and policies
- Analyze hazards and proactively develop and implement methods to reduce risk
- Conceptualize, design, recommend, and implement synthetic routes and experimental protocols using scientific methods and principles
- Use personal judgment and initiative in adapting protocols to meet the needs of the project and to test new hypotheses
- Prepare results for presentation, publication, and patenting
- Communicate and interact effectively with both clients and fellow scientists
- Have a passion for chemistry, working collaboratively and helping our clients achieve their goals.
- PhD (or MSc with relevant experience) in synthetic organometallic chemistry, with preference for experience in atomic layer deposition (ALD) precursor synthesis
- Postdoctoral or industrial experience including project management is a strong asset
- Demonstrated leadership skills are an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills; ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Currently legally permitted to work in Canada