- Ketchum Canada Inc.
- Toronto (City), Ontario (CA)
- Closing date
- May 27, 2022
- Contract Type
Future Possibilities for Kids (FPK) coaches children to believe in themselves and lead community change. FPK provides leadership and life skills programming to young leaders to give them the tools to achieve meaningful community service projects.
As FPK enters an important new chapter focused on evolving virtual programming, expanding our programs, enhancing partnerships and fundraising channels, and embedding an anti-oppressive approach throughout the organization, we are seeking our next Executive Director; an innovative, passionate, strategic and collaborative leader ready to elevate FPK to a new level.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the new Executive Director will partner effectively with the Board to build and deliver on a new strategic plan, evolve the structure of the team, and position the organization for deliberate, sustainable growth. The successful candidate will honour and build upon past success while developing innovative new approaches. We are seeking a leader who thinks big, brings fresh perspective, and can effectively rally the team to deliver creative, bold new approaches for the growth and expansion of FPK’s programming and support.
The new incumbent will join an organization with a well-established and proven program offering, a strong foundation and financial position, and a dedicated, passionate, and high-performing staff team. A highly committed and authentic leader, the successful candidate will lead and motivate a talented, capable, and passionate staff of seven. FPK has a people-first, open, collaborative, inspiring and passionate culture, with employees rating FPK a 5 out of 5 as a great place to work on our annual anonymous survey in 2022. Guided by the mission, the Executive Director will be an articulate and passionate spokesperson for FPK who will enhance the overall organizational and brand awareness. The successful candidate will be a skilled relationship builder who is able to inspire commitment and rally diverse groups towards a common goal through partnerships and fundraising.
Future Possibilities for Kids strives to become a community-driven organization by continually learning, deepening our understanding, and applying an anti-oppressive and equitable lens to all aspects of the organization, both internally and externally. The Executive Director will be an advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusivity and actively uphold FPK’s principles of anti-oppression, anti-racism and inclusion so that we can continue to follow, or set, industry-leading best practices.
ABOUT FUTURE POSSIBILITIES FOR KIDS
Coaching children to believe in themselves and lead community change.
Future Possibilities for Kids (FPK) is a Greater Toronto Area charity that builds leaders through unique youth and children's programs. Geri and Harry Berholz launched Future Possibilities for Kids in 2001 after being inspired by a similar program that was then operating in New York. Since 2001, more than 6,000 children and adults have participated in FPK’s one-of-a-kind community leadership and life skills development programs. These programs are delivered to children and youth, ages 9-12 years old, in Toronto and the GTA, Ontario.
FPK uses their voice to reach to raise awareness and draw more support toward research, policy, and investment into the middle years for children. Identified as a critically important age group these children are at a very important developmental life stage of life. What happens during these years sets the stage for adolescence and adulthood. Funding and programming for middle years children has been identified as a gap in a Canadian context, and as such Future Possibilities for Kids is committed to raising more awareness and drawing more support towards research, policy, and investment into this important age group so children can:
- Use their voice and actions to make their communities stronger
- Connect with supportive and encouraging adults and community members
- Have more opportunities to build their confidence and sense of purpose
A critical component of FPK’s success and a significant point of pride is its ongoing commitment to an inclusive and diverse organization. This commitment underscores their social justice and EDI practices which foster and maintain an environment that is warm, welcoming, where everyone feels valued and respected, and that models and reflects their Anti-Oppression Framework.
About Future Possibilities for Kids
Future Possibilities for Kids Programs
Future Possibilities for Kids Anti-Oppression Framework
Future Possibilities for Kids Board of Directors
Future Possibilities for Kids Staff
Future Possibilities for Kids News & Events
Future Possibilities for Kids Instagram
Future Possibilities for Kids Twitter
Future Possibilities for Kids Facebook
Future Possibilities for Kids LinkedIn
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Leadership and Governance
- In concert with the Board of Directors, plan for FPK’s future growth through the development and delivery of the Strategic Plan aligned with the overall mission and mandate
- Lead the development and execution of the annual operational plan ensuring programs, metrics, budget, and key deliverables are aligned with the strategic priorities and are sustainable
- Lead the development of innovative new strategic approaches to meet FPK’s strategic pillars, including program expansion, donor engagement, and partnerships
- Take an active role in risk mitigation and policy development on behalf of FPK and in partnership with the Board and the Finance, Risk & HR Committee
- In concert with the Anti-Oppression & Equity Advisory, invest in continuous learning and application of AEO principles throughout all aspects of the organization
- Support the Board of Directors, Committees, and Advisories to ensure effective governance of the organization
Community Engagement and External Relations
- Encourage and enhance an existing culture of partnership, fundraising and philanthropy
- Provide oversight of a strategic annual and long-term development plan that includes revenue from diverse sources to support the current and future growth of the organization, in collaboration with FPK fundraising and communications staff and the Board
- In collaboration with FPK fundraising and communications staff, establish donor engagement/relationship management plan and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with FPK community, government and other organizations
- Identify and foster new and existing partnerships with other organizations that can act as sources of program participants (both Kids and KidCoaches) and can support mutual learning
- Raise the profile of FPK in our communities as a destination for charitable giving alongside the FPK fundraising and communications staff with support from the Brand & Marketing Advisory of the Board
Team Leadership and Human Resource Management
- Manage an existing high-performing team in the successful delivery of FPK’s programming and strategy
- Evaluate optimal organizational structure and staffing requirements to ensure effective operational management and program delivery
- Coach and mentor staff to support them in achieving their goals, provide professional development and perform at their best
- Work with the Director, Program & Operations on implementation of human resources policies, procedures, and practices
- Foster a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with FPK values and all appropriate legislation and regulations
Operations and Financial Management
- Prepare annual and short-term financial forecasts, reports, and budgets to ensure that the Board is well-informed about the financial status and performance of the organization to ensure its financial viability and sustainability, in concert with the Board Treasurer
- Ensure compliance with all relevant government legislation, particularly the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency for registered charities
- In collaboration with the Board and other external advisors as may be required, establish and implement policies to ensure that complete, accurate, and efficient accounting processes, practices, and records are administered and maintained
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
We believe in growth and curiosity and prioritize culture in addition to experience. If you have some of these qualities and believe this is the position that will make you excited to come into work every day, then we want to hear from you!
- Progressive leadership experience, ideally in a not-for-profit or charitable environment
- Experience leading or participating in strategic and annual operational planning to further the vision, mission and mandate of an organization
- A positive track record at senior management or leadership level in financial management and oversight, human resources, and other administration
- Knowledge of Board governance, and experience working with a Board of Directors and senior volunteers, providing support, and engaging their expertise
- Management and leadership experience developing, and leading teams combined with talent and performance management
- An exceptional team player with the ability to lead a diverse team toward shared objectives
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of anti-oppression and equity frameworks and content, and a willingness to continue learning
- Experience applying innovative approaches to drive program growth
- Proven change-management ability especially related to developing and enhancing program operations with innovation balanced by good judgement and discipline
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize and make decisions
- Knowledge of the relevant legislative, human resource, and specific Canada Revenue Agency requirements for not-for-profit organizations is preferred
- A passion for and commitment to making a positive, meaningful impact on the lives of children in their communities and their families
FPK’s Culture Statements
Model, demonstrate and uphold FPK’s culture in our daily work in the following ways:
- Be ‘coachable’ and show an interest in personal development, learning and growth by embracing your ‘stretch zone’
- Provide ongoing encouragement, support and training for other team members to achieve shared success
- Practice Possibility Thinking where ideas are allowed to breathe without judgment
- Continually seek opportunities to gather feedback from others and actively use this feedback to make positive changes to ourselves, our programs and our organization
- Maintain a work environment which is warm, welcoming, where everyone feels valued and respected, and which models and reflects FPK’s Anti-Oppression Framework
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Future Possibilities for Kids. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at FPK@kcitalent.com
To view full position brief, visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by May 27, 2022.
At Future Possibilities for Kids, we value each person as a whole and their unique contribution. This includes your education, lived experience, race, colour, culture, ethnicity, language and linguistic origin, ability, socio-economic class, age (children, youth, seniors), ancestry, nationality, place of birth, religion or faith or other forms of conscientiously held beliefs, sex, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexuality (including sexual orientation), family status (including marital status), and residency/migratory status in Canada. Your identity will add to and enhance your contributions to this work, and our team. Upon request, suitable accommodations will be provided under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) for applicants invited to an interview.
The salary for this position is $120,000 including a comprehensive benefits package.
Proof of vaccination may be required for activities the Executive Director will be expected to attend such as events, meetings, and travel.
Future Possibilities for Kids is a remote-first workplace with office space available in Toronto. All employees must be legally authorized to work in Canada and reside in Ontario with the ability to travel to the GTA for in-person events and meetings
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert