The Manager, Office Services is responsible for the day-to-day operations of Vector’s offices, including the oversight of the Office Services Assistants. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources & Corporate Services the Manager, Office Services will collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure a safe and conducive work environment for the Vector Institute.
- Lead the office services function ensuring the development and delivery of key office services initiatives in multiple physical locations,including a planned relocation and consolidation of office spaces.
- Leadership, mentorship, and development of an office services team with direct reports located in multiple physical locations.
- Develop and maintain procedures and policies for the delivery of office services, including but not limited to, mail services management, inventory management, office equipment purchasing, and maintenance, and make recommendations to manage costs and achieve efficiencies.
- Lead the sourcing, selection, and contract negotiation processes for new office service providers as required,in accordance with requirements under the Broader Public Sector Accountability Act.
- Develop thorough and complete business cases for relevant projects and initiatives designed to advance office services offerings at the Vector Institute. Act as the main point of contact for office services vendors, ensuring that contracts are maintained, renewed, and updated as required and that service delivery and quality are successfully monitored.
- Lead the coordination and execution of weekly meetings with multiple workstreams operating within the scope of office services delivery (e.g., Technology and Operations).
- Champion discussions around task prioritization and adjudicate on competing priorities as required, escalating any concerns to Vector’s senior management team.
- Monitor the overall health and culture of the professional office environment with due consideration for the competing needs of both health & safety and workspace management as well as connectivity through to remote work-from-environments.
- Ensure visitors to the Vector office spaces(e.g., employees, researchers, guests, and suppliers) - feel welcome, and access is secure and reasonably restricted to only those individuals authorized to utilize the Vector space.
- Oversee effective mail services, including inbound and outbound shipment and delivery of physical mail and packages, and connect with property management to facilitate this function, as appropriate.
- Provide information on and manage transport booking and/or on-site parking requests.
- Collaborate with workstreams and Vector’s Events Manager in the organization of office functions and events including hosting delegations, professional meetings,research events, and coordinating catering services and other vendors, as appropriate.
- Provide advice on client experience in the evolving world of hybrid work models and division of work between in-person/in-suite work experiences and remote work-from-environments.
Facilities and Space
- Design and maintain standards to guide space utilization at Vector locations, recommending necessary changes as required.
- Oversee adherence to workspace user policies and manage new space user orientation and training sessions.
- Source and manage contractors and processes to ensure office décor, including furniture, is maintained at a high standard.
- Lead effective space planning and use of Vector facilities, including the assignment of work areas, utilization of meeting rooms, and equipment bookings.
- Manage Landlord/Tenant relations and ensure compliance with the provisions of Vector’s lease agreements at all office locations.
- Drive efforts in ensuring that members of the Vector team are good corporate citizens (e.g., recycling waste, reducing energy costs, and undertaking other environmental initiatives).
- Manage all aspects of access control to Vector office spaces, including the processing of new requests as well as deactivation of expired access
Equipment and Supplies
- Create and maintain working relationships with vendors and suppliers to ensure the effective functioning of office equipment and provision of supplies.
- Direct the maintenance of appropriate levels of inventory for all office supplies and stationery, including kitchen supplies.
- Maintain responsibility for the timely ordering, maintenance, and replacement of office equipment (e.g., printers, desks, chairs, meeting room equipment, kitchen equipment).
- Maintain an up-to-date list of all equipment purchases and associated warranties.
Safety, Security and Wellness
- In partnership with Human Resources, chair both the Vector Social and Health and Safety Committees ensuring the successful execution of various engagement and safety driven initiatives.
- Develop and maintain processes designed to uphold the security of and prevent unauthorized access to Vector facilities, including managing the access card and RFID FOB systems as applicable.
- In partnership with AI Engineering, Technology, and Research Operations teams, improve upon and streamline existing researcher onboarding, offboarding, and database management processes.
- In partnership with the Director, Human Resources & Corporate Services, ensure health and safety plans are up to date and implemented, evacuation procedures are tested, and that appropriate signage is in place in accordance with legislation, regulations, and building plans.
- Lead Joint Health and Safety Committee and ensure implementation of reasonable precautionary measures to prevent accidents in the workplace.
- Ensure that special ergonomic needs of employees are attended to, as appropriate, and that Vector takes all reasonable steps to maintain an accessible environment.
- Participate as a member of Vector’s Business Continuity Group.
Bookkeeping and Reporting
- Maintain responsibility for an office credit card and/or petty cash for reimbursements or payment for small ticket items including expense reconciliation and participation in external audit information requests.
- Manage corporate expenditure requests from multiple workstreams in accordance with Vector’s policies.
- Manage and maintain reports, including inventory, access authorizations, facilities and equipment maintenance, and office services expense reports.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- College Diploma or University degree.
- Minimum of 3- 5 years' experience as an office services manager or equivalent.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong orientation towards customer/client service and experience.
- Experience and proficiency in contract and vendor management.
- Attention to detail and business acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced and occasionally stressful environment.
- Effective problem-solving capabilities with the demonstrated ability to be proactive in identifying and addressing potential problems before they occur.
- Effective conflict and dispute resolution skills.
- Experience and proficiency with multiple business platforms and tools, including Microsoft Office, GSuite, and ClickUp! an asset.
- A background in hospitality or other client-centric service or similar environment considered an asset.
- Knowledge of broader public sector directives and best practices considered an asset.
- Desire to learn and take on new responsibilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Richard Haldane, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is May 13, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.