As an Applied ML Scientist, you will provide technical leadership and contribute to applied research and its applications to solve real-world problems using machine learning. You will lead application of breakthrough machine learning research to solve real world problems, provide guidance and have an opportunity to work with the best and brightest scientists and machine learning experts. You will collaborate with some of the leading machine learning researchers, data scientists, and specialists to build machine learning and open-source software.
Publishing papers on applied research is a part of this role, but the focus is on the impact of the applications, not on the quantity or quality of publications. We are seeking a Scientist with research experience in deep learning, machine learning, and graph-based methods.
- Research and implement state of the art techniques to solve real world problems;
- Work in collaboration with researchers, Applied ML Specialists, Vector’s professional staff, and collaboration partners to build demos, minimum viable products (MVP), and prototypes;
- Provide scientific advice regarding overall machine learning application strategies and roadmaps;
- Provide scientific oversight for Vector-led or co-led efforts to prepare specific datasets for machine learning research;
- Serve as the lead Vector scientific contributor for health, industry, and responsible AI projects including contributing to or leading the authoring of peer-reviewed research papers;
- Contribute to training sessions and other initiatives for Vector staff and stakeholders that help increase AI knowledge and the capacity of the system to recognize and act on opportunities to apply machine learning;
- Serve as an expert and facilitate identification of experts among the Vector Institute research community for external stakeholders (e.g., health and other sectors) to advise on machine learning research trends and applications; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- PhD degree in computer science or computer engineering with a research focus on machine learning domains like foundation models, Deep Learning, computer vision, recommendation systems, and reinforcement learning
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning research to novel problems and data sets; experience in applied research
- Experience with software engineering and/or data engineering is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge and experience of Python
- Experience with parameter and architecture tuning of deep learning algorithms is considered an asset
- Experience using open-source deep learning software frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow, JAX, or CUDA)
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Richard Haldane, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is May 24, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.