Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized undergraduate university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education program and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis, "which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering a post-secondary educational environment that is rich in diversity as represented by our faculty, staff and students. We welcome applications from all qualified persons without regard to race, sexual orientation or gender identity in this commitment to an creating and maintaining an enriched campus community.
About the Faculty of Science & Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology currently offers bachelor’s degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Geology, and General Science. The department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, within the Faculty of Science and Technology, supports three disciplines: Environmental Science, Geography, and Geology.
About the Role
The Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences at Mount Royal University invites applications for a permanent-track appointment at the rank of Laboratory Instructor (L2) commencing July 15, 2022.
The successful candidate will have a focus in geoscience with teaching interests in igneous and metamorphic petrology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, sedimentology, structural geology, and economic geology. The candidate must demonstrate excellence, or clear promise of excellence, in teaching in laboratory settings. The successful candidate will be expected to deliver several courses per term at both the introductory and senior levels as part of the regular teaching load, which contributes to existing offerings in geology, as well as develop laboratory sections commensurate with their expertise.
- Laboratory instruction, including preparation and marking
- Contributing to the development of laboratory experiments and materials, in consultation with course coordinators
- Investigating new teaching methods and materials for lab delivery
- Directing, mentoring, and evaluating Laboratory Instructors
- Assisting course coordinators with lab coordination
- Acting as a liaison between Laboratory Instructors and course coordinators to help maintain consistent course standards in instruction and grading
- Service to the Department
- A MSc in Geology is required
- Have or be eligible to apply for Professional Geoscientist designation with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Experience in teaching undergraduate laboratories in Geology
- Excellent teaching skills
- Strong technical skills
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- Proactive problem solving
- Good interpersonal skills allowing collaboration with faculty and staff
- Experience with developmental activities for senior-level laboratories is an asset
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
MRU supports full immunization as the best way to protect yourself and our campus community and strongly recommends vaccination against COVID-19.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found, review of applications will begin after June 21, 2022.