Please note, this is a 2-year temporary full-time contract opportunity. Secondments are welcome. Multiple vacancies available.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Faculty of Health Sciences is a large, diverse, and comprehensive unit, comprised of six Schools (Nursing, Kinesiology, Health Studies, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Communication Sciences and Disorders), a large Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences and four Research Centres. The Faculty has more than 3,200 undergraduate students and more than 800 graduate students (200 PhD students).
The Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing will educate nurses who are reflective practitioners and provide recognized leadership in nursing theory, research, practice, inter-professional health teaching and learning, and policy advancements.
This mission will be achieved by developing and disseminating knowledge related to nursing education, health service delivery, and nursing practice which include the promotion of health and healing, and equitable and innovative health care delivery in local and global contexts.
Under the direction of the Faculty Coordinator, Simulated Education, the Technical Specialist will provide technical and administrative support for the Nursing Clinical Education Suites (Lab/Simulation) to support teaching activities and objectives. Using industry standards and established best practice, the Technical Specialist will be responsible for the audiovisual equipment, inventory, support, maintenance and setup, computer software support, as well as the care of the mannequins and other medical equipment used in the simulation program. The Technical Specialist will also maintain lab and simulation technologies including but not limited to firmware, software and connectivity of human patient simulators (HPS, mannequins), computers used in simulation activities, virtual simulation. In addition, the Technical Specialist will assist with multimedia production.
- 2 year community college diploma in a healthcare related discipline
- University Degree, preferably in a healthcare related discipline preferred
- 3 years' experience in healthcare simulation including maintenance, repair and technical support of simulation equipment and/or medical device systems in a large healthcare delivery setting (e.g. hospital, long term care facility, educational setting)
- Clinical knowledge and experience working in healthcare related field
- Experience providing technical support in networking, computer hardware and software
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology and human anatomy/physiology
- Knowledge and operation of standard audiovisual equipment; projectors, microphones, portable screens, media players
- Familiarity with preventative maintenance techniques and practices
- Communication skills to listen to the complete message, solicit more information as required, and provide feedback
- Verbal and written communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Decision making skills to resolve complex technical issues
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
- Ability to provide guidance, support and feedback in a way that is positively received
- Ability to take responsibility for own work and ensure that deadlines are met and outcomes are achieved
- Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use relevant software, applications or equipment
- Ability to be forward thinking, anticipate possible errors, and take preventative measures
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to investigate defined issues, solicit input, and suggest remedies and alternative approaches that meet the needs of the situation
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement, while being open to trying new ideas and working methods
- Physical ability to lift, move, maintain and set up computer, audio-visual and simulation lab equipment weighing up to 45 lbs without assistance
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #27204 by midnight on June 27, 2022.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.