Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special!
You will be part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated legal professionals who are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
The City of Mississauga's Legal Services team is searching for one (1) Articling Student for the 2023-2024 articling period.
Our new hybrid work model will allow you to work remotely except as required to attend our offices at 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, L5B 3C1 for in-person meetings to meet client needs or court requirements.Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will report to the Legal Counsel & Articling Principal and work with the City Solicitor and other members of the Legal Services Division. The articling student will work on files in the following practice areas: municipal law, real estate, environmental, intellectual property, general litigation, planning and development law, and labour and employment law. The articling student will also attend court and handle municipal prosecution matters.
The articling student will:
Qualifications and Application Requirements
- Conduct legal research;
- Draft legal documents such as by-laws, resolutions, contract and court documents;
- Provide support to lawyers on different matters relating to the operations of the City of Mississauga;
- Have carriage of simple files and have various hands-on experience in the practice of law;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Legal Services is looking for one (1) articling sudent who possesses the following qualifications:
- Must be qualified to commence articling in July 2023 in accordance with the requirements of the Law Society of Ontario;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team setting;
- Ability to travel between various City of Mississauga sites;
- Level 2- Criminal or Judicial Matters Check (previously Regular CRS) will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 40.30 - $ 53.74
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section:CMO/City Manager's Office,CMO/Legal Services,Legal Services
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.