The Vector Research Operations & Academic Partnerships team is seeking a dynamic and action-oriented individual in the role of Programs Officer to execute programming for Faculty Affiliates, graduate students, and alumni in AI.
Reporting to the Manager, Research Programs, and working closely with the Program Manager, Student Engagement, the incumbent will coordinate research and career development opportunities for a growing pool of students and affiliated members specializing in AI.
- Build strong connections with students in Vector-recognized master’s programs and AI researchers about the programming and resources offered at Vector through initiatives such as orientation presentations, attendance at student facing events such as conferences, etc.
- Coordinate satellite/outreach events across Ontario to connect with Faculty Affiliates, graduate students, Postdoctoral Fellows, and alumni in different communities.
- Provide support for career and recruitment programming for AI students
- Work with undergraduate AI clubs across the province to support student initiatives, such as conference sponsorship, securing speakers for club events etc.
- In partnership with the Events Team, develop and build on events to bring together and showcase the strength of the research community; such as an annual research symposium, graduate visit day, and Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning Summer School.
- Support the implementation and ongoing improvement of multiple programs that contribute to the advancement of the Vector Institute's Al research agenda, such as the Faculty Affiliate Program and Faculty Affiliate Researcher Program.
- Help establish an alumni program to connect a growing cadre of alumni to Vector programs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Why you should apply:
- You are passionate about growing Canada’s global leadership in AI research;
- You have a range of experiences in student programming and community building and want to apply this to supporting a growing AI ecosystem;
- You are highly organized and motivated to work with diverse perspectives and ideas to foster a creative and collaborative research environment for world-class AI researchers;
- You believe good ideas are important, but execution is key, and you hold yourself accountable for delivering results;
- You are curious and eager to challenge your comfort zone on an ongoing basis;
- You are entrepreneurial and thrive in a solutions-oriented environment.
- Strong, growing, and engaged student and alumni network;
- Top of mind awareness of Vector’s student and researcher programming;
- Excellent relationships with university student clubs and other organizations;
- Well-executed programming with strong stakeholder management and service delivery
- Productive relationship management with the researcher community.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is hard working with great attention to detail and customer service. A strong project management skill set is vital to success in this position. In addition:
- You are outgoing and derive a high degree of satisfaction connecting with students and other stakeholders and strengthening a sense of community.
- You are a captivating and engaging presenter.
- You have experience working with students in a post-secondary environment or similar environment.
- You have strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of individuals in a team environment (e.g., graduate students, Faculty members, senior external researchers, leadership teams, operations staff, and graduate students), maintaining confidentiality and providing all with a trusted, respectful point of contact.
- You are creative and enjoy collaborating within a small entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven.
- You possess a positive attitude, integrity, a sense of humour, are tactful, and bring positive energy and outlook to a not-for-profit corporate culture.
- You have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- You have strong Excel skills and are comfortable picking up and learning new technologies.
- Familiarity with GSuite or the Microsoft Suite of applications, Eventbrite, WordPress, and Zapier would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Sameera Ali, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is August 8, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.