Research Services Officer
The Vector Research Operations & Academic Partnerships team is seeking a dynamic and action-oriented individual in the role of Research Services Officer to support the implementation of the Vector Institute’s Canada CIFAR AI (CCAI) Chair program, which is part of the Government of Canada’s Pan-Canadian AI Strategy (PCAIS) administered by CIFAR.
Reporting to the Manager, Research Services, the incumbent will support the recruitment, onboarding, and support of Vector Faculty Members and Vector Postdoctoral Fellows. The role will also monitor key reporting requirements for PCAIS 2 and coordinator reporting requirements.
In addition, the Research Services Officer will support initiatives that strengthen the researcher community at Vector, such as a Visiting Researchers Program.
- Support talent recruitment and acquisition activities for faculty and postdoctoral fellows by coordinating Vector’s Recruitment and Hiring Committees.
- In concert with external university partners and internal stakeholders, ensure a strong positive experience during the faculty and postdoctoral fellow recruitment and onboarding.
- Schedule and document of the annual faculty review process and steward the renewal process for CCAI Chairs.
- Support the Research Director and Research Operations and Academic Partnerships team to foster a strong culture of collaboration and dialogue among faculty and researchers, as well as initiatives to enable professional development among faculty.
- Coordinate annual reporting requirements for formal Affiliation Agreements with partner institutions.
- Support a Visiting Researchers Program including review process, recruitment, and onboarding of Visiting Researchers to Vector.
- With Manager, Research Services, ensure the Vector Institute’s formal agreement with CIFAR is executed, and accountability requirements and reporting metrics are delivered in an accurate and timely manner.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Why you should apply:
- You are passionate about growing Canada’s global leadership in AI research;
- You have a range of experiences in either a research institute or university setting as well as experience in program implementation and project management;
- You are highly organized and motivated to work with diverse perspectives and ideas to foster a creative and collaborative research environment for world-class AI researchers;
- You believe good ideas are important, but execution is key, and you hold yourself accountable for delivering results;
- You are curious and eager to challenge your comfort zone on an ongoing basis;
- You are entrepreneurial and thrive in a solutions-oriented environment.
- Prompt and thoughtful actions support research operations and business requirements at Vector;
- Smooth running processes and tracking for PCAIS agreements;
- Well-executed programming with strong stakeholder management and service delivery and,
- Productive relationship management with Vector Faculty Members and its researcher community.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is hard working with great attention to detail and customer service. A strong project management skill set is vital to success in this position. In addition:
- Ability to effectively collaborate with a diverse range of individuals and perspectives across a broad range of sectors and stakeholders;
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills as you work with multiple stakeholders and concurrent priorities;
- High attention to detail as it relates to contractual and complex reporting requirements;
- 2+ years of strong, practical real-world experience in roles that have included project delivery, program implementation, policy analysis, and stakeholder coordination;
- Experience that provides strong knowledge of an academic research environment is a strong asset;
- You have a data-driven mindset and the ability to translate data into actionable insights with a keen eye for detail and an ability to quickly identify and troubleshoot problems that arise.
How to Apply
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Sameera Ali, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is August 8, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.