Come work as a Manager, Indigenous Recruitment Services with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Manager, Indigenous Recruitment Services to join the Indigenous Health team at Indigenous Health. Apply today to join our team!
Vancouver Coastal Health is committed to improving the health and access to culturally safe healthcare of the Indigenous people in our region, and we recognize that we all have a contribution to make in reconciliation and healing. VCH’s Indigenous Health team works with staff and physicians across all programs and departments to provide strategic leadership, partner collaboration and community engagement to assist VCH to become a more culturally competent and safe organization.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Partnerships and Performance with Indigenous Health and in partnership with the People & Culture team, the Manager, Indigenous Recruitment Services, will be responsible for managing an exciting portfolio. The Manager will help develop and execute the Indigenous Health recruitment and retention strategy, and in addition, they will collaborate with the People & Culture team to address issues/requests from around the organization.
The Manager must be connected and knowledgeable with Indigenous organizations, Indigenous hiring agencies, universities and other post-sec institutions and communities. We are searching for a leader familiar with the Indigenous recruitment landscape, recruitment and retention strategy, and relationship building in the Indigenous environment.
Lived experience, relationship building in the Indigenous environment, strong leadership, curiosity and excellent team collaboration are paramount for this role's success.
As a Manager, Indigenous Recruitment Services with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Report to the Director, Strategic Partnerships and Performance.
- Work within the organization’s vision of being the preferred Indigenous employer of choice in BC healthcare.
- Fulfil an integral role in implementing Vancouver Coastal Health’s (VCH) mission to increase the organization’s Indigenous voices and contributions at all levels of the organization so that we can come together as one collective team to deliver an exceptional care experience for all.
- Works under the VCH focused recruitment strategy, comprised of three goals:
- Develop awareness of health careers (excluded and included) with indigenous communities throughout BC;
- Develop plans and targets to improve Indigenous recruitment; and
- Develop culturally inclusive practices to retain and advance Indigenous employees.
- Attract and hire of Indigenous people to VCH’s external job opportunities.
- Execute an Indigenous recruitment strategy for the organization that standardizes and streamlines recruitment processes, procedures and guidelines, set short and long term goals and objectives that maximize opportunities to retain and attract Indigenous talent to Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH), and which instill industry best practice and innovation into every aspect of the value add services to those we serve.
- Lead, supervise and provide daily work direction to the department, and provides leadership in the provision of effective Indigenous recruitment policies, procedures and practices and provides guidance and advice to VCH leaders/managers/directors on Indigenous recruitment issues, and ensures appropriate support for the hiring process at all stages, including requisitioning, posting, prescreening, short-listing, interviewing, reference and criminal records checking, and employment offers.
- Maintain statistical data and reports on recruitment activities, oversee and provide input into the budget planning for the department, and monitor expenditures and reports on variances.
- Represent the department with educational institutions, external partners and communities, and on health authority-wide projects, initiatives and in working groups, and makes recommendations and decisions on behalf of the Director.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in a related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ of progressively responsible recruitment and leadership experience in a large, multi-discipline unionized environment, preferably health care, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certified Human Resources Professional designation or equivalent is an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated experience working in support of Indigenous employees and communities.
- Extensive knowledge of Indigenous communities and resources, and demonstrated skills in the area of Indigenous recruitment, retention, and employment.
- Extensive knowledge of employment issues impacting Indigenous Peoples.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively mentor and enact cultural humility for cultural safety.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to foster a culturally safe, motivating, respectful and encouraging environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interpretation of organizational policies and procedures, and collective agreement requirements related to job vacancies and postings.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead in the identification of service priorities for achieving operational goals/objectives, including the development of tools, services and systems to promote efficient application processes.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize both verbal and written communication skills when obtaining information, providing routine advice/information and otherwise communicating electronically, verbally and in written format.
- Effectively leads at team to support organizational goals and objectives through effective recruitment procedures and practices.
- Effectively develops working relationships with leaders/managers/directors to support recruitment processes.
- Utilizes analytical skills to maintain statistical data and report on department activities.
- Applies effective time management skills to prioritize assignments, schedule activities, optimizes effectiveness and maintains service levels.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
We are striving to build a diverse team that has lived experience with Indigenous communities. Strong preference will be given to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous.
It will greatly assist us with screening if you refer in your application to your Indigenous identity. Recognizing the impacts of colonization on Indigenous people, it is your choice whether to volunteer information. We will hold your application in strictest confidence, sharing it only with the hiring panel.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.