Knowledgeable and familiar with the playing rules of the specified sport required and possess strong communication and organizational skills.Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Communicate with other league officials provide direction to time keepers communicate throughout the game including use of hand signals to communicate official calls to players, staff and spectators
- Impart knowledge of the game to players and other league officials
- Attend discipline hearings as required and provide all the required documentation. (i.e. penalty reports, reports to insurance providers, accident/incident reports, etc…)
- Understand the technical rules of the sport and enforce them
- Making confident calls during league play and addressing player concerns
- Communicating effectively with other league officials, time keeper, and convener.
- Providing clear and concise instructions to time keeper and feedback to participants
- Keeping games on time
- Enforcing sport specific rules and disciplinary action for players, coaches and fans
- Communicate with players throughout the game and ensure and promote fair play
- Provide quality customer service to league participants - answer questions, provide them with rationale, accept feedback
- Ensure the safety of league participants and complete safety checks of the league playing area
- Enforce league rules and maintain consistency by calling appropriate sport specific penalties
- Respond professionally to irate players, and potentially volatile situations and diffuse verbal and physical altercations
- Deescalate heated situations by utilizing game management and redirect players throughout the game.
- Referee’s certification in the specific sport is an asset
- 3-5 years of officiating, administration or playing experience in an Adult Sport League environment
- A WSIB approved Emergency First Aid and CPR “B” certification
- Primarily community centre environment
- A Level 2 - Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$30.99 - $41.32
Hours of Work:up to 20 hours per week
Work Location:Paramount Fine Foods Centre - Fieldhouse
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Recreation Division,Sport & Community Development
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.