Lead or manage urban design projects, planning studies and City initiatives. Provide professional design input to city-wide projects, master plans and studies. Make recommendations and provide advice to achieve City strategic goals. Formulate, articulate and defend the City’s position before the public, council or the Ontario Municipal Board.Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager, Urban Design, the successful candidate will be responsible for the review and comment of development applications and provide urban design expertise and advice. This individual will have experience working with Official Plan Policies and Urban Design Guidelines to inform the development industry, in a persuasive manner, on the goals and objectives of the City of Mississauga.
Skills and Qualifications
- This individual will comment on development applications, manage urban design studies and participate in inter-departmental projects in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- This individual will have a good working knowledge of architecture, urban design and building trends in a municipal environment.
- As an organized individual his/her duties will include preparing and providing direction for the preparation of graphic illustrations of alternative development concepts, district plan scenarios and community/mainstreet plans; assisting and providing direction for the research and illustrations of design guidelines; and writing reports.
- Attendance at public/community meetings and defending urban design objective at the OMB will be required.
- Organizing and coordinating the Urban Design Awards
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager, Urban Design.
- The successful candidate will have a University Graduate Degree from a recognized University Program in Urban Design, Architecture, and/or Planning with a minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible Urban Design experience.
- Member of, or eligible for, the OAA, or OPPI.
- Experience in both private and public sector preferred.
- Excellent design, report writing, problem solving and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage large complex urban design projects and possess strong time management skills.
- Knowledge of Public Realm Master Plans.
- Effective oral/written communication skills with the ability to effectively address urban design matters.
- Ability to negotiate/facilitate, build consensus and present information to varied audiences.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Basic computer skills based on Windows 7 / Office 2010, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Publisher and Sketch-Up skills are essential.
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD/MicroStation and other graphic applications are an asset.
- A driver’s licence is required for this position.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 83,485.00 - $ 111,315.00
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Organization Unit:P&B/Urban Design
Department/Division/Section:P&B/Planning & Building Dept,P&B/Develop & Design Division,Urban Design
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.