Senior Manager, Organizational Development
Regular Full Time
Salary Range:CA$135,435.00 To 159,346.00 Annually
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 355,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada's Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
Applications are now being accepted for the above position in the People Services Department within the Office of the CAO. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by October 12, 2022.
Reporting to the City Solicitor and Director, People Services, you will provide strategic leadership that supports the City in fulfilling its vision and advancing its priorities.
With a dedication to creating a healthy, safe and energized workplace and a focus on talent management, you will lead the development and implementation of innovative programs and resources that support the engagement and retention of a highly skilled workforce. You will consult and partner with key leaders across the business to optimize organizational health, leveraging organizational development (OD) interventions at either the leader, team, or systems level. As a member of the People Services Leadership Team, you will bring your experience and expertise to transforming the People Services function to meet the needs of a growing City.
Leading a team of Learning and Organizational Development professionals, key areas of focus will include:
- Applying organizational effectiveness practices to support business transformation
- Bringing best practices in change management to leading organizational and individual change
- Advancing leadership development and succession planning strategies
- Enabling the growth and development of our employees through effective performance and career development programs
- Contributing to the City’s culture and employee value proposition through innovative employee engagement initiatives
- Develop and implement an OD strategy and roadmap that supports the City’s goals and priorities
- Build relationships with senior leaders across the City to help them optimize their organizational health and effectiveness as well as identify connections across teams that may benefit from broader enterprise-wide OD interventions
- Lead and/or coach large scale change management initiatives applying change methodologies tailored to specific projects and initiatives
- Lead the City’s performance development program and process ensuring that leaders and employees are well equipped to have meaningful conversations that enhance performance and contribution
- Lead the talent review processes and associated outputs to identify talent strengths, gaps, succession plans and associated solutions required to ensure strategic talent needs are met
- Develop and implement a leadership effectiveness strategy that ensures individual and collective leadership capability to deliver business results and maintain high levels of employee engagement
- Work closely with the HR Business Partners, determine appropriate programming to support client groups and work together to formalize implementation strategies
- Lead the internal engagement/pulse survey implementation, along with action planning and goal setting, ensuring that the City has access to insights that inform positive change
- Coach and mentor a team of OD professionals
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures through evidence-based practice, standards and guidelines while adhering to legislative and collective agreement requirements
- Provide leadership, guidance, mentorship and management by promoting system thinking, positive and productive work relationships, diversity, equity and inclusion, cooperation, support and exceptional customer service
- As a member of the People Services management team, participate in the development of the annual business plan, budget and strategic People Services plan
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements:
- University degree in Human Resources or Organizational Development or equivalent certification
- Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10 years of solid career progression with a minimum of 5 years in a leadership position of increasing responsibility
- Experience leading programs related to employee engagement, talent management, developing leaders, succession planning, performance management, culture and values, and change management
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills and leadership level presentation experience
- Project management expertise and technology based implementation an asset
- Experience providing advice and support to leadership in an organization
- Certification in a recognized change management methodology
- Certification in psychometric assessment tools (DISC, MBTI, SDI, CliftonStrengths, etc.)
- Certification in third party leadership development content
- Professional Leadership Coach certification an asset
- Demonstrated ability to understand and think strategically about talent-related challenges
- Great communicator who works best in a collaborative environment and builds mutual trust and credibility at all levels of an organization
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of 2 Health Canada approved vaccination doses upon a conditional offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.