Regular Full Time - 2 full time vacancies
Salary Range:CA$97,278.00 To $114,475.00 Annually
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 355,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada's Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
Join a purpose driven team, committed to results and excellent customer service, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Applications are now being accepted for the above position in the People Services Department within the Office of the CAO. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by October 12, 2022.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Human Resources and working closely with the Human Resources Business Partners, the Human Resources Specialist will provide value added and proactive advisory and consultative services, using a client service mindset, on the full range of human resources practices to the managers within their assigned portfolio.
The Human Resources Specialist will be responsible for building strong rapport with client groups by establishing a trustworthy and credible working relationship, acting as a trusted advisor on a variety of complex HR matters, completing projects through the following:
- Leads full cycle recruitment
- Sources candidates strategically through identification of effective, innovative and proactive methodologies and fostering relationships with employment partners, networks and educational institutions to attract a strong, diverse range of candidates
- Ensures a fair, open and transparent process in accordance with corporate, collective agreement and legislative requirements
- Supports managers in successfully on-boarding new or transferring employees to their new roles
- Responsible for collecting yearly recruitment metrics, analyzing results and developing and implementing strategies accordingly.
- Utilizes data to address trends in attraction and retention and provides advice to managers on same
Labour and Employee Relations
- Provides advice and support ensuring consistent application in the interpretation and administration of the relevant Collective Agreements, legislation, past practice and corporate policies and procedures
- Investigates issues, collect and analyze evidence, interview witnesses and assess information to draft written investigative reports that include findings for and recommendations to management
- Administers the Attendance Management, sick leave, and long term disability management processes
- Addresses and administers Grievance processes representing the City’s interests, facilitates negotiations with the Union and drafts settlements as appropriate
- Prepares background materials for and participates in Mediation and Arbitration
- Supports Collective Bargaining processes
Compensation and Job Evaluation
- Provides advice and guidance about the job evaluation and promotional processes
- Interprets relevant compensation and benefits policies and practices
- Facilitates the job evaluation process working with the manager to provide all relevant information and supporting documentation to the Job Evaluation Committee
- Responds to various requests for HR related information related to assigned Client Group
- Meets with employees who are off-boarding and/or going on leaves to explain their entitlements
- Prepares LTD packages, communicate with employees and supervisors, gather appropriate information, and prepare and submit LTD packages to benefits carrier.
- Acts as main contact on all LTD in client group between the carrier, manager and employee
- On-boarding of new employees at the supervisor and manager level
- Supports managers by facilitating and training on labour and employee relations, policies, procedures and changes to the collective agreements
- Provides training with regard to attraction, retention, performance management and talent acquisition
- Working with the Centres of Excellence, HRBPs and performance managers, identify and support change management initiatives,
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree related to human resources, industrial relations or business administration and/or the CHRL designation
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience as a HR Generalist
- Proven track record of successful human resource client partnering experience
- Strong demonstrated expertise and experience in recruitment, staffing and talent management labour relations; employee relations; compensation and benefits
- Experience working effectively in a unionized environment
- Strong understanding of relevant employment legislation
- Demonstrated consultative and relationship orientation
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills, marketing and influencing skills, time and project management skills, and analytical abilities
- Experience in implementing and supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility and belonging
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of 2 Health Canada approved vaccination doses upon a conditional offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.