Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
To implement secure, cost-effective computing technology solutions for our business partners. To provide attentive, friendly, high quality technical support to our customers, solving their issues in a timely fashion.
The Systems Operations Analyst leads the research, development, implementation, and day-to-day operations of the Housing & Ancillary Services network, data centres, servers, and associated enterprise applications.
The role will manage computer systems, servers, and network connections to ensure high levels of reliability, availability, and security of the supported business applications. The Analyst collaborates daily with colleagues to provide expertise and technical support for each Computing Services team (Client Support Services, Software Development, Connect IT), while also participating in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with the unit’s goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. Each member of the Computing Services team is committed to providing a safe, reliable, and secure computing and mobile environment.
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field
- University degree in Information Systems, Computer Science preferred
- Professional certification or designation in server administration, cyber security, storage management, project management, business analysis, or related practice preferred
- Two years of experience managing virtualized environments
- Two year of experience providing front-line customer service and technical support
- Experience maintaining strong security practices for servers and the data housed within an IT managed infrastructure preferred
- Experience supporting CBORD Food Service systems preferred
- Experience working in a higher education environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency of network and systems operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of enterprise level network & systems security (VLANs, routing/switching, CIDR, routing protocols)
- Demonstrated familiarity with: concepts around central directory services (such as LDAP and Active Directory), implementation and management of both local and shared storage such as storage area networks using multiple protocols, relational database management (MSSQL, MySQL), server hardware platforms, server virtualization technologies (VMWARE)
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex hardware, software, and network issues
- Working knowledge to support software development environments (web application firewalls (WAFs), web engine configuration, and application deployment)
- Demonstrated proficiency in setup and management of server operating systems (Windows, Linux, Novell)
- Demonstrated ability to learn, develop and support scripts in languages (PowerShell, Bash)
- Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users
- Ability to resolve problems and escalate issues with suggestions for further investigation and options for consideration as required
- Initiative to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service
- Demonstrated organizational skills including ability to manage multiple competing priorities working to tight timelines with appropriate supervision
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions
- Ability to re-evaluate current procedures and suggest creative ideas for improvement
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with peers, contacts with access to information, and key business partners
- Ability to carry out work off hours as required with appropriate guidance and training
- Ability to support change initiatives by following new directions as directed
- Proven ability to interact with people in a professional, respectful, and diplomatic manner
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Please note, successful applicants will be required to complete a credit check satisfactory to the employer and may be required to produce a current criminal record check from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #28589 by midnight on 2022/11/30
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted