As an Applied ML Scientist, you will provide technical leadership and contribute to focused research breakthroughs and applications to solve real-world problems with machine learning and AI. You will provide guidance and work with some of the best and brightest data scientists and machine learning engineers from leading industry and health organizations. You will collaborate with some of the leading machine learning researchers, data scientists, and engineers. Publishing research papers on applied research is part of this role, but the focus is on the impact of the applications, not on the quantity or quality of publications. We are seeking a scientist with research experience in Responsible AI in a deep learning context. Experience in Fairness, Explainability, Privacy, AI Safety, Recommendation Systems, and NLP are all valuable areas of knowledge for this role.
- Research and implement state of the art machine learning techniques to solve real world problems;
- Work in collaboration with researchers, machine learning specialists, AI Engineering team members and Vector affiliates to build demos, minimum viable products (MVP), reference implementations, and prototypes;
- Provide scientific advice regarding overall machine learning application strategies and roadmaps;
- Provide scientific oversight for Vector-led or co-led efforts to prepare specific datasets for machine learning research;
- Serve as the lead Vector scientific contributor for responsible AI, health, and industry projects including contributing to or leading the authoring of peer-reviewed research papers;
- Contribute to training sessions and other initiatives for Vector staff and stakeholders that help increase AI knowledge and the capacity of the system to recognize and act on opportunities to apply machine learning in a responsible manner;
- Serve as an expert and facilitate identification of experts among the Vector research community for external stakeholders (e.g., health and other sectors) to advise on machine learning research trends and applications.
- PhD degree in computer science or computer engineering with a research focus on machine learning
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of: Fairness in AI/ ML systems, Explainable AI, AI Safety, privacy for AI/ML, AI governance, Nature Language Processing (NLP), Natural Language Understanding and generation
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning research to novel problems and data sets
- Experience with software engineering and/or data engineering is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge and experience of Python
- Experience with parameter and architecture tuning of deep learning algorithms
- Experience using open source deep learning software frameworks (e.g, PyTorch, Tensorflow, JAX)
- Experience with recommendation systems is considered an asset
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Sameera Ali, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is November 23, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are Indigenous, 2SLGBTQ+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.