The Accounts Payable and Tax Analyst primary function of this role is being able to investigate and address all payable related issues effectively and deliver actionable information. Such issues include resolving disputes, communicating with key business stakeholders in cross-functional departments, and reporting from all systems for quality assurance from staff entry, system errors and tax errors. These reports are used to assist in performance management with staff for the Supervisor, supporting payable automation project in testing and documentation.
A qualified candidate will have fundamental knowledge of payable processing; moderate problem solving skills, adaptive to multiple systems, habit of documenting and tracking issues arises from day-to-day transactions.Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Prepares the weekly and monthly reports for the Supervisor to review with Management, stat reports for team meetings and conducts ad hoc reports from SAP, Sap Concur Expense, Sap Concur Invoice and PCard.
- Preparing monthly tax remittances, ITC’s, GL reconciliations and working to resolve pending transactions with the Supervisor.
- Reconciliation of salestax, and withholdingtaxaccounts to returns, government account statements and notices of assessment.
- Understanding the City’s requirements to self-assesscommoditytaxand monitor.
- Partner with Sourcing (MM) and Accounts Payable to ensure vendor orders are issued correctly, taxed correctly, and paid accurately.
- Providing tax support on compliance, planning, audit and accounting for assigned business units as they affect corporate taxes.
- Prepares and files tax returns, tax filings and other tax requirements to ensure compliance with tax laws, regulations and procedures.
- Supports the Supervisor with the gathering of information and analysis related to all direct and indirect tax areas.
- Reviewing and updating employee outstanding transactions.
- Assists on ad-hoc projects related to tax disciplines by providing analysis on monthly data, summarizing tax information and preparing reports.
- Provides support with tax audit or notice response activities.
- Monitors tax law changes (as applicable) to assess impact on operations.
- Supports the departments by contacting taxing authorities for resolution to tax problems and assisting with securing credits, incentives and rebate opportunities.
- Maintains spreadsheets for tracking activities and updating tax calendar for compliance deadlines.
- Independently analyzes large volumes of data using sound business judgment and effectively communicates results.
- Effectively communicate discrepancies arises from matching process with stakeholders in receiving and purchasing department.
- Establish reporting processes to segregate transactions by vendor, commodity and business unit.
- Implement and maintain tracking tools for document retention to audit adherence of defined processes.
- Work with Supervisor to understand and improve business and internal processes through automation and for better compliance with salestaxlegislation.
- Supporting all internal and external customers with trouble shooting issues by testing to improve SAP Concur with the Supervisor and training to BU to help build knowledge.
- Recommends tax strategies by researching, interpreting, and implementing tax laws.
- Participate in special projects relating to continuous improvements, and test new systems and processes as required.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- University and/or College diploma in Accounting or Business.
- A minimum of 5 years' direct experience in AP capacity.
- Minimum 2-5 years working experience with exposure to commodity tax.
- Required: Minimum of (2) years’ experience with Concur or SAP
- In-depth GST/HST course - CPA Canada.
- Experience of automation and operational efficiency.
- Intermediate to Advanced level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using VLookup function, pivot tables, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, macros).
- Proficient knowledge of Accounting and Internal Controls related to AP
- Demonstrate ability to accurately post, correct, and manage payable entries and AP reports.
- Experience in gathering data, compiling the proper information, and preparing financial reports.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of data entry accuracy.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with key business partners.
- Strong problem identification and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to work with a great deal of confidential information and maintain absolute discretion
- Continuous improvement mindset - Always looking for a way to do things better or more efficient.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 64,464.00 - $ 85,952.00
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section:CPS/Corporate Services Dept,CPS/Finance Division,Financial & Treasury Services
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.