Under the direction of the Supervisor, Traffic Systems and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), the successful candidate will perform tasks related to the Traffic Control System, including Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and traffic signal communications to ensure safe traffic signal operation within the City of Mississauga.Duties and Responsibilities
The position is responsible for the following:
Skills and Qualifications
- Liaise with contractors, vendors and stakeholders to procure the implementation, setup and validation of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Advanced Transportation Management Systems (ATMS) installations.
- Contract management including assisting in budget preparation for procurement of equipment relating to the ATMS.
- Assist with the evaluation and field execution of future Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Advanced Transportation Management Systems (ATMS) large scale projects.
- Liaise with City’s IT department, contractors and Rogers Communications to maintain traffic signals communication infrastructure.
- Respond to complaints and inquiries related to the Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS) and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
- Provide guidance to technical and inspection staff.
- Prepare technical and corporate reports.
- Performing other duties as assigned or required.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Traffic Engineering, Civil Engineering, or related discipline.
- Certification with OACETT as a Certified Engineering Technologist or equivalent is an asset
- A minimum of 5 years related experience in municipal Traffic Engineering practices involving traffic signals and systems.
- Strong working knowledge of Advanced Transportation Management Systems (ATMS), Traffic Signal Control Systems, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Communication Systems (i.e. IT protocols / principles / IP communications including Wireless / Fibre / Cellular / City networks).
- Knowledge of contract management procedures including budget preparation for procurement of equipment relating to Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Advanced Transportation Management Systems (ATMS).
- Experience with MS SQL reporting to create ad-hoc reports relating to the needs of the ATMS would be an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Acts, By-laws, regulations and standards, including Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, Ontario Traffic Manuals, International Municipal Signal Association Standards, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership potential to provide functional guidance to technical and inspection staff.
- Understanding of basic financial and budget monitoring functions including demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with the ability to determine an effective course of action.
- Solid interpersonal and communication abilities to deal effectively with staff, elected officials, contractors, external agencies and the public.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple competing tasks.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with the flexibility to adapt to the team’s priorities.
- Computer proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office and relevant software applications.
- A valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license and availability of personal vehicle.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 73,350.00 - $ 97,802.00
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Mavis Yard: Common Building
Organization Unit:T&W/Traffic Systems
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Traffic Mgt & Municipal Parking Div,Traffic Signals & Systems
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.