Responsible for assisting in the instruction of the Recreation Division Sports Programs and conducting a high energy program that meets the program outlines and HIGH FIVE® principles. Instructors will be responsible for teaching each sport, show aptitude for understanding the different approaches required to teach different age groups (i.e. preschool vs. adult participants) and will work with volunteers.
Please note : This posting will be used to fill various vacancies over the coming months and therefore interviews will be offeredwhen required. Due to the uncertainty we are facing regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and the City's programming restrictions, the recruitment of these positions is dependent on available vacancies and business needs.
- Frank McKechnie Community Centre
- Meadowvale Community Centre
Duties and Responsibilities
- Table Tennis
Under the direction of the Program Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible to assist in the delivery and operations of a comprehensive recreation program, as developed by Recreation Division to meet the needs of all participants and to ensure adequate safety while facilitating leisure activities.
Skills and Qualifications
- Support the objectives and philosophies of the specificsport program through quality instruction and excellent public and staff relations.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate the program.
- Accurate completion of administrative duties (i.e. daily attendance; facility checks, equipment inventory).
- Provide participantswith instruction and supervision while effectively ensuring the safety of all participants.
- Conduct safety checks of program equipment and facility space.
- Adhere to all program policies and standards as they relate to program content and delivery.
- Effectively provide quality customer service and act as a knowledgeable resource to participants, parents,volunteers and co-workers.
- Effectively and in a timely manner communicate any issues/ information that could impact the quality and safe delivery of the program to the manager on duty or your direct supervisor.
- Perform emergency procedures as required.
- Being able to incorporate and model the HIGH FIVE® Principles of Healthy Child Development in program delivery where appropriate.
- Complete all mandatory online e-Learning modules.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one year experience coaching or instructing the required sport.
- Coaching certification is considered an asset.
- Emergency First Aid & CPR B certification (or higher) from a WSIB approved provider.
- HIGH FIVE ® Principles of Healthy Child Development certification.
- Candidate will have the ability to perform and teach to different levels of participants and demonstrate strong leadership and organizations skills.
- Employment offer is conditional upon receipt of a Level III - Vulnerable Sector Check from a Police unit that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$16.61 - $23.59
Hours of Work:up to 24 hours per week
Work Location: Various Locations
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Recreation Division,Aquatics, Therapeutic & Fitness
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.