Responsible for various duties related to the ongoing maintenance and operation of City owned parkland and amenities during the peak maintenance periods. This includes performing horticulture, turf, sports field, and cemetery maintenance, waste management and the repair of park amenities and trail networks to meet established service levels and maintain parks in a state of good repair. This position is also responsible for the operation of vehicles (trucks, trailers, tractors, lawn equipment, etc.) and attachments, small equipment and hand tools. Staff are required to deliver routine and specialized maintenance and provide leadership and functional guidance to Summer Students as required.
*Employment period is from April 3rd up to October 20th, 2023 based on a 40 hour work week, and includes evenings, weekends, holidays and shift work.
*Employees can be assigned to any location within Mississauga or re-deployed to various locations, shifts depending on the business operations needs.
Learn more from Sarah on what it is like to be a Parks Ops-LTT at the City!Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Carrying out a variety of maintenance functions including, but not limited to: turf maintenance, planting, weeding and maintenance of horticultural installations and displays; litter picking, garbage/recycling collection and disposal; sports field and facility maintenance; trail and cemetery maintenance.
- Assist with inspections, cleaning and repair of park amenities.
- Provide logistical support for community events including deliveries, picnic table set up and take down.
- Responsible for the operation of vehicles and attachments, small equipment and hand tools.
- Deliver routine and specialized maintenance.
- Daily data entry into INFOR Mobile to capture labour and equipment hours, material usage.
- Provide leadership and functional guidance as required, ability to work independently.
- Clean and maintain vehicles and equipment in accordance with required maintenance schedules and servicing milestones.
- Identifies hazards or mechanical issues that impact operations, arrange for appropriate repairs and servicing as required.
- Previous experience in landscaping, horticulture or other outdoor maintenance required.
- Formal education in landscaping, horticulture or other education relevant to the position is preferred.
- Possess an Ontario Driver’s License, Class G2 or higher, with a driving record that is acceptable to the City.
- Emergency First Aid Certification required.
- Proficient with MS Office, Outlook, and capable computer skills.
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting, including heavy lifting up to 55 lbs.
- Understanding of applicable Health and Safety regulations and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Moderate lifting of equipment and objects (up to 55lbs).
- Physical work in a variety of conditions (warm and humid to freezing).
Successful applicants will be expected to meet the following working conditions:
Additional Information Please note
- Be available to work full-time (40 hours per week), including nights, evenings, weekends and holidays during the employment period April 3, 2023 to October 20, 2023
- Must report to work in all weather conditions(outdoor work environment)
- Flexible to work in a variety of locations, employees may be relocated to another location at any time throughout the work-term based on operational needs
- Green Patch CSA approved safety boots, 6”-8” to cover ankle and must be made of full suede or leather material, andmust be worn in accordance with the City’s health and safety policies and training
- Physical Demands:Moderate lifting of equipment and objects up to 55 lbs;exposure to vibration, unpleasant smells, fumes, dust, and flying particles; exposure to grass, weeds, trees and other outdoor allergens, animal feces and various insects; requires bending, climbing, walking,pushing, sitting, standing and repetitive motion
: All successful candidates will be required to submit 2 references to the City of Mississauga forobtaining employment reference information as apart of the recruitment process.
Consent to Contact References
1. Click this link and complete the Consent to Contact References
2. Save the document as Your Name _Consent to Contact References
Employment offer is conditional upon providing a Level 2- Criminaland Judicial Matters Check, at your own expense, that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
Hourly Rate/Salary:$23.04 - $25.72
Hours of Work:up to 40 (shift work required)
Work Location: Various Locations
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,Parks, Forestry & Environment Division,Parks Operations
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.