Love the outdoors?
This is your chance to be part of a dynamic and innovative team of professionals who work hard to ensure the best possible experience for all of our residents and visitors. JOIN OUR TEAM and help make our public spaces even better.
Help build a better community - Join Our Parks Team for the Season
Duties and Responsibilities
- Employment Period is from May 1, 2023 up to August 25th, 2023, based on a 40 hour work week, and includes evenings, weekends, holidays and shift work.
- Employees can be assigned to any location within Mississauga or re-deployed to various locations, shifts depending on the business operations needs.
Under the direction of the Parks Supervisor (with functional guidance from Full-Time Parks and Long Term Temporary employees) successful candidates will be required to:
Skills and Qualifications
- Perform ongoing maintenance to City owned parkland and amenities (turf and sports fields, parks, cemeteries and facilities):
- Mowing, trimming, aeration, fertilization
- Maintaining horticulture installations and displays - planting, weeding
- Litter pick up and scheduled garbage/recycling collection and disposal
- Cemetery maintenance including internments
- Assist with inspection, cleaning and repair of park amenities
- Safely operate a variety of equipment, machinery, and power / hand-held tools
- Clean and maintain vehicles and equipment and identify hazards and/or mechanical issues requiring service repair
- Some Parks Operations II employees may be asked to operate city vehicles based on operational needs and if license requirements are met
- Attend various training sessions throughout the season
- Provide logistical support for community events including deliveries, set up and take down
- Other duties as assigned
To be considered for this position, you must:
- Possess a valid Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C certification
- Be able to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Have good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a team environment
- Be able to deal with the public in a courteous manner
Skills/Qualifications that are considered an asset:
- Ontario Driver’s License Class G2 or higher with a driving record that is acceptable to the City
- Previous experience or formal education in landscaping or horticulture
- Previous experience dealing with customers
- Understanding of applicable Health and Safety regulations and Occupational Health and Safety Act
Successful applicants will be expected to meet the following working conditions:
Additional Information Please note
- Be available to work full-time (40 hours per week), including nights, evenings, weekends and holidays during the employment period May 1, 2023 up to August 25th, 2023
- Must report to work in all weather conditions(outdoor work environment)
- Flexible to work in a variety of locations, employees may be relocated to another location at any time throughout the work-term based on operational needs
- Green Patch CSA approved safety boots, 6”-8” to cover ankle and must be made of full suede or leather material must be worn in accordance with the City’s health and safety policies and training
- Physical Demands:Moderate lifting of equipment and objects up to 55 lbs;exposure to vibration, unpleasant smells, fumes, dust, and flying particles; exposure to grass, weeds, trees and other outdoor allergens, animal feces and various insects; requires bending, climbing, walking, pushing, sitting, standing and repetitive motion
: All successful candidates will be required to submit 2 references to the City of Mississauga forobtaining employment reference information as apart of the recruitment process.
Consent to Contact References
1. Click this link and complete the Consent to Contact References
2. Save the document as Your Name _Consent to Contact References
Employment offer is conditional upon providing a Level 2- Criminaland Judicial Matters Check, at your own expense, that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
Hourly Rate/Salary:$16.61 - $19.83
Hours of Work:upto 40 hours
Work Location: Various
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Parks and Forestry Division,Parks Operations
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.