Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special! You will be part of a team ofengaging, enthusiastic, and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors, and businesses of Mississauga.
Enthusiasm for working with children is the name of the game! We provide creative and unique speciality programs to meet the diverseneeds of each local area. We provide an inclusive camp experience where camp personnel will be required to work with participants with different needs including children with disabilities, children with behaviour challenges, newcomers, and language barriers. You will make a difference in your community and will leave a lasting impression on the children and youth who attend the camps. Please note:
This posting may be removed earlier than the date advertised depending on business needs.
Here are our tentative camp locations:
- Burnhamthorpe CC & Surrounding Area (Dixie Road & Burnhamthorpe Road)
- BraeBen Golf Course
- Carmen Corbasson CC & Surrounding Area (Cawthra Road & QEW)
- Churchill Meadows CC (Ninth Line & Eglinton Avenue)
- Clarkson CC (Southdown Road & Truscott Drive)
- Courtneypark AC (Mavis Road & Highway 401)
- Erin Meadows CC (Glen Erin Drive & Eglinton Avenue)
- Frank McKechnie CC (Bristol Road & Kennedy Road)
- Huron Park RC (Mavis Road & Paisley Boulevard)
- Malton CC (Derry Road & Goreway Drive)
- Meadowvale CC (Glen Erin Drive & Battleford Road)
- Mississauga ValleyCC (Hurontario Street & Burnhamthorpe Road)
- River Grove CC (Britannia Road & Creditview Road)
- South Common CC (Erin Mills Parkway & The Collegeway)
Employees can be assigned to any location within Mississauga or re-deployed to various locations, shifts and/or assigned a variety of job responsibilities on a day-to-day basis.
Learn more from Melanie on what it is like to be a Camp Leader at the City! Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Site Leader or Program Supervisor, the successful candidate will assist in the operation and delivery of a comprehensive camp experience as developed by Recreation to meet the needs of participants and to ensure adequate safety while facilitating leisure activities.
Skills and Qualifications
- Provide an inclusive camp experience which includes working with participants with different needs (i.e. children with disabilities, children with behaviour challenges, newcomers, and language barriers).
- To support objectives and philosophies of the camp program as established by the Recreation Division through quality instruction and excellent customer and staff relations.
- To plan and implement a comprehensive, inclusive camp program to meet the needs of all participants.
- To provide instruction to campers and ensure planning and preparation for all activities related to the camp program are carried out successfully.
- To ensure supervision of campers at all times and provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants by adhering to department safety standards and assisting with emergency procedures as required.
- To provide quality customer service and act as a knowledgeable resource to parents, participants, volunteers and leaders.
- To effectively and in a timely manner inform the Program Supervisor/Designate/Board of Education staff with regards to all aspects related to facilities, staffing, participant behaviour, equipment, supplies or anything that would impact the quality and safe delivery of day to day operations of the camps.
- To conduct safety checks of program equipment and allocated facilities daily. Clean up and store equipment properly at the end of the day.
- Incorporate and model the HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development in program delivery where appropriate.
Additional InformationHourly Rate:
- Working towards a Secondary School Diploma.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid Emergency First Aid and CPR B or Standard First Aid and CPR C (Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross Society, St. John’s Ambulance or the Canadian Ski Patrol) certification (must be recognized by WSIB)by June 1, 2023. The award must be current during the employment period.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid HIGH FIVE ® Principles of Healthy Child Development certification by June 1, 2023.
- Previous experience working with children an asset.
- A Level 3 - Vulnerable Sector Check will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Staff will be paid minimum wage on an hourly basis for attending required trainings or meetings.
Employment Period is from July 3 - September 1, 2023. Interviews will be held in January/February 2023.
Training for this position will be in June. Dates are TBD and all trainings are mandatory. Please note: Full-time hours are not guaranteed. Hours are dependent on sufficient program registration.
Applications are being accepted online only and will be received up to March1, 2023
. Please note that you will be completing a questionnaire as you submit your application. Please fill this out completely. You will receive a receipt via e-email confirming that your application has been successfully sent.
Any questions regarding the hiring process or information on this job posting should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .Special Instructions Please note
: You are required to complete the form below and upload as an "Additional Document"as part of the application process.
Consent to Contact References
1. Click this link and complete the Consent to Contact References
2. Save the document as Your Name _Consent to Contact References
3. When applying, add yourform as an additional document to your application
Hourly Rate/Salary:$15.54 - $17.28
Hours of Work:up to 40 hours
Work Location: Various
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Recreation Division,
Non-Union/Union: Non UnionCOVID-19 Update:
As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day
A Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.