The Technical Services Section requires students from May to September (4 months) who will report to the Supervisor, Surveys & Inspections. Their main responsibility will be providing assistance to survey and inspection staff which may include: delivering construction notices to residents, collecting material weight tickets from worksites, and assisting with special projects and studies. Other responsibilities may also include conducting daily walking inspections of sidewalks, pathways, boulevards, and other duties as assigned. Please note that this position is unionized.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Reports any street hazards that pose a danger to public or traffic safety for prompt action.
• May assist City Inspectors with various job related tasks.
• May be assigned to a Survey Crew to assist with construction layout, and field measurements for payments.
• May complete special projects or research studies.
• Delivers construction notices to homeowners.
• Collects material weight tickets from truck drivers for construction materials delivered to City worksites.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Conducts walking inspections of City sidewalks, pathways, boulevards, and street signs to identify, record and report defects or hazardous conditions, to ensure compliance with O. Reg. 239/02: Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways. A mobile computer tablet equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking and electronic data capture forms will be provided.
• Currently enrolled in a College or University Civil Engineering Program.
• Must be returning to school following the end of the 4 month contract.
• Experience in Municipal Services Construction is an asset.
• Working knowledge of computer applications including MS Office: Word, Excel.
• Previous experience in the use of Total Stations, GPS, automatic levels, and other related survey equipment is an asset.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to create effective solutions to problems.
• Good time management and organizational skills.
• Must act with integrity and demonstrate sound moral and ethical principles.
• Strives for continuous improvement through innovation and enhancing processes.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills along with strong customer service and conflict resolution skills.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgement and sound decisions.
• Accepts and follows directions from others; complies with requests and respects authority.
• Ability to carry out the full range of physical demands of the position such as lifting, pulling and carrying of heavy equipment and objects etc.
• Must hold a valid Ontario Class "G or G2" Driver's License with a driving record in good standing. A driver's abstract will be required to verify a driving record in good standing.
• Must be able to provide your own vehicle in which mileage would be paid.
• CSA approved green patch safety boots are required.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to effectively deal with the residents, contractors, and other stakeholders.
Hours of Work:40 hours a week
Work Location:Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Works Operations & Mntce Division,Technical Services
COVID-19 Update:As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.