Associate Vice-President and Chief Human Resource Officer
- University of Guelph
- Guelph, Ontario (CA)
- Salary varies based on experience
- Closing date
- Mar 31, 2023
- Human Resources / Recruitment
- Contract Type
University of Guelph (Guelph) is one of Canada’s top-ranked comprehensive and research-intensive universities recognized for innovation and excellence in the arts and sciences and acknowledged as a leader in the agri-food sector through the Ontario Agricultural College and veterinary sciences through the Ontario Veterinary College. The University’s campuses reside on the treaty lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit and lands that the Anishinaabe, Hodinohso:ni, Lūnaapéewak and Wendat peoples have inhabited for centuries. Known for its beautiful, safe campuses, historic buildings and welcoming, supportive culture, the University of Guelph is recognized for its academic reputation, for being student-centered, and for its strong sense of community, with a focus on sustainability and improving life.
The University seeks a bold, visionary HR leader who thrives in a fast-paced, complex environment that is undergoing major transformative change to keep pace with the discerning needs of its community of students, faculty, staff and partners. Reporting to the Vice-President (Finance and Operations), the Associate Vice-President and Chief Human Resources Officer (AVP & CHRO) provides strategic HR leadership and will help guide the change process that is occurring within the HR portfolio, including the implementation of a new HRMS system.
The AVP & CHRO is a valued and trusted contributor and advisor at the senior management table, supporting and advancing the university’s values-based, people-centred inclusive culture, and ensuring that human resources practices and policies are aligned with the strategic directions and values of the University. Committed to continuous improvement and effective transformation, the AVP & CHRO will drive change that advances the University’s future-oriented priorities and plans.
As the ideal candidate, you are a results-oriented, transformative leader with a record of experience leading change in complex organizations. Bold, visionary and innovative, you are a seasoned HR leader with a proven track record of implementing change, modernizing systems, empowering teams and embracing equity, diversity and inclusion. A strategic systems thinker who embraces opportunities to implement change, you are a valued advisor, who is able to champion new approaches to service delivery, using a person-centred approach. Your credentials, reputation, experience, and results inspire confidence and help to deliver effective results.
Experience and Qualifications
The AVP & CHRO should possess:
- A post-secondary degree, ideally at the graduate level, accompanied by an industry recognized designation and/or relevant qualifications;
- Demonstrated accomplishments in a senior organizational role, with advanced leadership and team-building skills, the ability to work effectively with employees at all levels, and to effectively manage multiple projects from conception to implementation;
- Advanced knowledge and experience in implementing progressive policies, practices and procedures that emphasize the advisory, strategic and developmental roles that a high functioning HR department fulfills within an organization;
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing strategic human resource plans for multiple constituencies;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of broad HR experience working collaboratively within a complex, unionized environment with an in-depth knowledge of collective agreement administration, dispute resolution, grievance and arbitration facilitation, and collective bargaining;
- Demonstrated skills in hiring, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, including competitive environment knowledge and the use of strategic and progressive hiring practices;
- Demonstrated understanding of provincial and federal labour and employment legislation and regulations;
- The ability to understand and leverage technology to maximize Human Resources service delivery;
- An understanding of college governance and operations, with a commitment to supporting the University of Guelph’s Vision, Mission and Values, and the ability to serve as an effective colleague as part of its senior leadership team;
- The patience, resolve and flexibility to deliver leadership by example, build consensus, diffuse escalating situations and bring about constructive resolution with all the required negotiating, consulting, listening, planning, persuading, explaining and implementing skills;
- A consistently demonstrated sense of fairness and unwavering commitment to inclusivity, diversity and equity, combined with sensitivity to the broad range of personalities, backgrounds and viewpoints;
- Experience advancing EDI across human resource initiatives, policies, processes, and practices; and
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills in speaking, writing and listening, coupled with experience handling contentious matters with sensitivity, confidentiality, and balance.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, contact Amorell Saunders N’Daw at email@example.com, or Bola Moradeyo at firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit your application online at : https://www.kbrs.ca/Career/16898
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Guelph and KBRS will provide support in the recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact KBRS at: email@example.com.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. Acknowledging the University’s diverse population and ensuring that every member of an inclusive campus is a valued contributor is a foundational pillar of success. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert