Responsible for planning and providing instruction in the sport(s) hired for, providing encouragement to students and evaluation of students while providing excellent internal and external customer service.
Learn more from Melanie on what it is like to be a Camp Leader at the City!Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of Program Supervisor or designate, the successful candidate will lead in the operation and delivery of a comprehensive soccer camp program, as developed by the Recreation Department to meet the needs of all participants and to ensure adequate safety while facilitating leisure activities. The programming of specific sport skills each day is a major component of the position.
Skills and Qualifications
- Provide an inclusive camp experience, which includes working with participants with different needs (i.e. children with disabilities, children with behaviour challenges, newcomers, and language barriers).
- To support objectives and philosophies of the camp program as established by the Recreation Division through quality instruction and excellent customer and staff relations.
- To plan and implement a comprehensive, inclusive camp program to meet the needs of all participants.
- To demonstrate and provide instruction to campers and ensure planning and preparation for all activities related to the camp program are carried out successfully.
- To ensure supervision of campers at all times and provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants by adhering to department safety standards and assisting with emergency procedures as required.
- To provide quality customer service and act as a knowledgeable resource to parents, participants, volunteers and leaders.
- To effectively and in a timely manner inform the Program Supervisor/Designate staff with regards to all aspects related to facilities, staffing, participant behaviour, equipment, supplies or anything that would impact the quality and safe delivery of day to day operations of the camp.
- To conduct safety checks of program equipment and allocated facilities daily. Cleaned up and store equipment properly at the end of the day.
- To assist in the set-up and take down of equipment prior to the arrival of participants and following their departure.
- To assist participants by checking that their personal equipment is safe to use and protective clothing (shoes, skates, chest pads, etc.) fit properly before engaging in activity.
- Incorporate and model the HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development in program delivery where appropriate.
- Working toward a Secondary School Graduation Diploma or College/University Diploma/Degree.
- The candidate must hold a NCCP Coaching Level.
- In depth knowledge of the specific sport being hired for, strong practical skills and the ability to demonstrate and teach to various levels and age groups.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid Emergency First Aid and CPR B or Standard First Aid and CPR C (Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross Society, St. John's Ambulance or the Canadian Ski Patrol) certification (must be recognized by WSIB by June 1, 2023).
- Previous experience coaching and supervising children in the related sport is an asset.
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development certification by June 1, 2023.
- A Level 3 - Vulnerable Sector Check will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$19.30 - $23.59
Hours of Work:up to 40 hours per week
Work Location:Paramount Fine Foods Centre - Main Bowl
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Recreation Division,Aquatics, Therapeutic & Fitness
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.