Dean of Education
- St. Mary's University
- Calgary (City), Alberta
- $125 - $145,000
- Closing date
- Apr 2, 2023
Dean of Education—St. Mary’s University
St. Mary’s University, located in Calgary, Alberta, is searching for a Dean of Education to provide academic and institutional leadership as the institution grows.
About St. Mary’s University
St. Mary’s University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the îyârhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River; the traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the City of Calgary. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.
A leader in post-secondary education, located on a historic 35-acre site in Calgary, Alberta, St. Mary’s University is an innovative teaching and research university that provides affordable, accredited and highly valued degrees in the Liberal Arts, Sciences and Education. Founded on the Roman Catholic intellectual tradition, St. Mary’s prepares its students to live with integrity, compassion, and confidence. St. Mary’s is open to all and is focused on developing the whole person: mind, body, and spirit. Grounded in their mission to care for the whole person, StMU is committed to its social justice initiatives, offering interdisciplinary programs to students that encourages reflection on the injustices that characterize society, and upon Catholic tradition and its engagement with the world. Through the pursuit of knowledge and service to the community, St. Mary’s students are inspired to become lifelong learners, engaged citizens and compassionate members of society.
As a member of the Academic Leadership Team, the Dean of Education is responsible for providing strategic and administrative leadership to the Education Program. They represent the Faculty and embody the Catholic Intellectual Tradition as they work with both public and Catholic partners and constituents.
Aligning with the University’s mission, vision and strategic plan, the Dean will develop, lead and manage student-focused academic programs and resources while fostering a positive learning and working culture. They will implement sound educational planning and policies and effectively manage faculty personnel, programs and financial resources with a goal of maintaining and enhance quality academic programs. The Dean provides day-to-day academic and administrative leadership, supervision, and support for faculty and staff. The Dean is responsive to the needs of faculty, staff and students, and upholds and models the values of St. Mary’s and the Professional Standards of Alberta Education.
- Academic leadership, setting direction and ensuring quality of the Faculty’s learning experiences.
- Leading an innovative faculty with a deep commitment to issues of equity and excellence in K-12 pedagogy.
- Operational leadership including fiscal accountability for the Faculty of Education, including securing and allocating support for high quality teaching, research, and creative & professional activities.
- Provide leadership for development and capital campaign goals.
- Establishment of productive internal and external relationships and communications.
- Support and encourage funded scholarship and research in the education and/or broader educational contexts.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will be an experienced academic leader, with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and a transparent and consultative management style. They are a compassionate, caring leader with integrity with a track record of improving and innovating in academic settings. Expertise in academic administration, pedagogy, data analysis, managing staff within a unionized environment, and appreciation for teaching and learning technology are all required. They are an evidence-based decision maker that has a record of building strong and effective relationships across administration and faculty.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degrees, including a PhD and has a BEd or teacher’s certification equivalent.
- Teaching credentials suitable for a faculty position and a distinguished record of teaching and scholarship.
- Significant experience in a senior leadership position in academics and/or research with significant managerial accountability for human and financial resources and knowledge of grants development.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated teaching and administrative experience, as well as a strong understanding of Alberta K-12 curriculum, assessment, provincial accreditation processes.
- Demonstrated experience working with Indigenous partners.
- Team building, consultative leadership, and conflict management experience.
- Creativity, empathy, and curiosity.
- Commitment to Indigenization and eco-social justice.
- Exceptional communication skills, consensus-building, and advocacy, with the ability to be persuasive while speaking to different audiences.
- The ability to face challenges and to exercise integrity, flexibility, and wisdom.
- The ability to work collegially and effectively within a unionized environment, building trusting relationships both internally and externally.
- Diplomacy, tact, and conflict resolution skills.
- Facilitative style combined with decisiveness and the ability to explain decision rationale.
St. Mary’s University is passionate about building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment for students, staff and faculty, where diversity in all areas is celebrated and valued. We encourage any and all qualified individuals to apply. Priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents of Canada.
We will provide support and accommodations to applicants with disabilities, upon request. If you need accommodation in order to participate as a candidate in the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com or communicate your needs to the recruitment professional named in the job description.
The appointment begins as soon as possible. If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Debra Clinton at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kyle Steele at email@example.com, Dr. Jennie Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your full application package online at https://www.kbrs.ca/Career/16211 by clicking the “Apply Now” button.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert