Under the general direction of the Councillor and functional guidance of the Councillor’s Executive Assistant the Administrative Assistant, Ward 1 will carry out the daily duties of the Council Office.
The successful candidatewill be considered for the duration of the Elected Official’s term of Office. The current term ends November 14, 2026. There will be an opportunity for renewal should the Elected Official remain in office for another term.
This position is eligible for the following benefits: Three Weeks Vacation, Two Personal Paid Days, Extended Health Care (Vision, Prescriptions, Paramedical, etc), Dental Care, Basic Employee Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Optional Life Insurance, Optional Critical Illness Insurance and eligible to elect to join the OMERS Pension Plan.Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
Skills and Qualifications
- Ensure the Councillor is relieved of all administrative details as it relates to the day-to-day running of the office.
- Assume primary responsibility for the review and distribution of all incoming mail, faxes, e-mails and telephone inquiries to appropriate staff member.
- Forward inquiries, which are not routine or general, to Executive Assistant for follow-up and action.
- Receive and respond to in-person, telephone and email inquiries from the public.
- Drafting correspondence on behalf of the Councillor (written).
- Updating and maintaining spreadsheets and databases, and data entry.
- Photocopying, opening and distributing mail, and other general clerical duties.
- Maintaining and updating the Councillor’s contact list.
- Budget monitoring experience required.
- Working knowledge in a Windows environment with experience in the Internet and web posting.
- Attend and assist in the organization of events.
- Liaise with other Councillors, Councillors Assistants, senior management, other government officials, constituents and community representatives as required.
- General office support activities with the Councillor’s Executive Assistant.
- May undertake other activities consistent with the requirements of the Councillor’s office.
- Post- secondary education with two to five years’ experience in an administrative related position is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with elected official is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of the City sufficient to obtain information in response to constituent questions and issues and to refer constituents.
- Knowledge of the mandate and structure of Council and its committees is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of various MS Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of office systems and procedures.
- Energetic, motivated and a self-starter.
- Deal effectively with time frames and deadlines, and work effectively under pressure.
- Deal effectively with people under circumstances where the other party can be highly irate and unreasonable.
- Strong ability to multitask and take on a variety of assignments.
- Organize, prioritize and manage tasks and responsibilities toward timely completion, adjusting priorities as required.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful and difficult situations.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of tact and diplomacy when dealing with constituents, other Councillors, senior management, different levels of government, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication and listening skills.
- Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 31.13 - $ 41.51
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section:CMO/City Manager's Office,M&C/Mayor's Office,Councillor's Office
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.