ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION AND ROLE COSTI, a dynamic social-impact organization, invites applications and nominations for the role of Director, Marketing and Communications. This is an opportunity for an experienced marketing and communications professional to join an innovative organization committed to generating positive impact. For more information about COSTI, a not-for-profit institution that employs approximately 500 individuals, visit www.costi.org.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for promoting and strengthening COSTI’s brand, positioning it as a leader within the Canadian social impact ecology. The successful candidate will deliver upon this mandate by effectively overseeing strategic and operational leadership in corporate communications (internally and externally), brand management, fundraising and donor relations, media and public relations, government relations, as well as advocacy. In addition to these responsibilities, the incumbent brings deep expertise in the area of digital communications and issues management.
The new Director must be a big-picture thinker; they must come to the role with a reputation for being strategic as well as operationally focused all while successfully managing multiple demands and competing priorities. They will work in close partnership with a range of departments and business units at COSTI as well as with external partners to develop communications, marketing material, and campaigns seen as compelling to external communities. Given the importance of relationship- and community-building for COSTI on the whole, the Director, Marketing and Communications will be skilled at developing deep and meaningful relationships; be motivational in their communication style; and, be comfortable in the area of public speaking. They must also be a strong project manager, and must bring ease, confidence, and fluency to their communications output when responding to PR matters and issues on behalf of the organization.
The incoming Director will be an expert in their field, bringing best practices and proven strategies to COSTI’s Marketing and Communications portfolio. A key role within the organization, they will develop a deep understanding and appreciation of COSTI’s operational goals and strategic objectives, thereby ensuring deliverables are met in accordance with COSTI’s policies and procedures.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Corporate Communications:
Create and facilitate the delivery of communication strategies and programs that build a deeper understanding and awareness of COSTI’s culture, operations, programs, and values. As delineated below, this area of the Director’s responsibilities has both an external and internal context:
- Create and oversee communications campaigns intended for external communities, and in a manner that effectively promotes COSTI and its critically important work. Devise, at different intervals, corporate templates (e.g., letterheads) and resources (e.g. annual reports, newsletters, brochures, and videos) for use and/or review by team members as well as external audiences. Oversee the development of website content and website navigation, ensuring that all content found on COSTI’s website is both relevant and current, and optimizing the website experience for prospective supporters and donors. Oversee the delivery of COSTI’s marketing and communications in print media and on a variety of online and digital platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc.); work alongside members of the marketing and communications team to develop a more vibrant and compelling social media presence, one that attracts the attention of a range of diverse communities. Oversee the development and implementation of the annual general meeting, ensuring a well-executed event in compliance with board policies and bylaws.
- Work in partnership with members of the senior leadership team and various business units throughout COSTI to develop internal communications approaches, strategies, and frameworks intended to further elevate company culture and employee engagement. Support members of the senior leadership team in a variety of areas linked to communications, including but not limited to the development of corporate messaging, presentation development, press releases, speeches, and so forth. Work with various departmental teams, including the People and Culture department at COSTI, to compose key messages intended for the organization’s employee complement.
- For members of the senior leadership team, provide insights and expertise around brand development and opportunities for brand elevation; ensure the iterative changes to COSTI’s brand identity are effectively communicated to team members across the organization. Work alongside development team members to ensure COSTI’s storytelling and messaging are relatable and compelling, thereby increasing the profile of programs, services, and communities served and enabling the organization’s success in the area of fundraising, sponsorships, and partnerships. Build and maintain strong relationships with third-party agencies and professionals (including advertising agencies, influencers, media buyers, PR firms, production companies, etc.). Train and manage members of staff on brand guidelines and policies, ensuring consistent deliverables are produced across all organizational channels. To develop a more bespoke and nuanced understanding of where changes can be made to COSTI’s brand-related materials, continuously measure brand awareness levels and community response.
- Devise proactive issues management, crisis communications and rapid response plans; provide support to senior leadership around the most prudent steps and approaches for actioning such plans. Develop and regularly update institutional policies and protocols around interfacing with media, ensuring COSTI’s leadership team and staff are trained around and knowledgeable about COSTI’s expectations in this regard. In an effort to manage issues, create and routinely update Q&A responses for the COSTI team.
Fundraising, Donor Relations, and Community Partnerships:
- Work in close partnership with COSTI’s CEO and advancement team members to set bold yet achievable fundraising goals, and develop as a team clear strategies, tactics, and key performance indicators to ensure accountability. Work with members of the COSTI team to identify and develop strategies and initiatives to solicit & secure funding from new and/or expanded corporate and community partnerships. Develop written and creative material in connection to fundraising, donor relations, and community partnership efforts, including newsletters, campaigns, webpage call-to-action, and event-based communications. Ensure staff responding to public and/or donor inquiries respond with great care and in a timely manner. Develop and maintain up-to-date donor and partnership lists and foster positive relations with these stakeholders.
- Compose and disseminate press releases on behalf of COSTI, as required, and act as a spokesperson for COSTI in response to media inquiries. Respond to media queries, including liaising with staff to develop responses. Develop relationships with various media channels, including social media, print, and broadcast. Ensure that any COSTI team members permitted to respond to media are trained and knowledgeable about how best to represent the organization.
- Engage the different levels of government and diverse partners in building positive relationships and promoting the organization’s strengths and opportunities. Lead and manage the development of key organization positions (be they briefing notes, policy papers, presentations, etc.), as required, in support of COSTI’s advocacy around supporting the wide-ranging needs of communities served. Keep apprised of legislation, public policy, regulatory matters, and governmental directives and activities that may influence or impact operations at COSTI as well as its advocacy objectives. Identify opportunities for COSTI to participate in and influence the development of public policy as well as government initiatives and programs in support of the organization and the sector; assist with the development of communication material in support of sustained or increased government funding.
Strategy Development and Planning:
- Develop strategic and annual plans for Marketing and Communications in alignment with the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of the organization. Keep apprised of developments in the area of immigration and matters that directly impact newcomers to Canada. Incorporate the use of data and set KPIs for the Marketing and Communications portfolio, thereby ensuring approaches and frameworks are in place to measure the utility and value of tools and resources that are leveraged (paid media, advertising, social media, etc.) in support of the portfolio. Develop an annual internal and external events plan and lead the execution of events, including agenda planning, speeches, and speakers.
QUALIFICATIONS While all candidates are encouraged to apply and, in so doing, share how they see themselves adding value to the COSTI environment, the following credentials and/or experiences are seen as possible markers of the candidates most likely to realize success in the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Literature, or related discipline, with a degree at the Master’s level highly desired. Several years of progressively senior marketing and communications experience, with experience in the non-profit sector or public sector preferred. Proven track record in both the development and implementation of an institutional communications strategy. Experience working in a number of areas linked to a marketing and communications portfolio, including advocacy, brand development and management, media/public relations, and so forth.
- Experience in issues management and communications, as well as experience working with a range of digital platforms.
- Experience in the development of policy positions and drafting submission letters, as well as experience in and/or direct exposure to government and government relations.
- Experience in the area of leading and mentoring a diverse cadre of staff, and a talent for leading and/or working alongside cross-functional teams.
- An ability to effectively manage multiple and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Experience working in an integrated communications environment and with integrated communications channels including social media. Exceptional written and editing skills required to deliver a range of material (annual reports, press releases, newsletters, speeches, and so forth), as well as experience in the area of production and creative execution. Experience in planning and implementing high-profile, large-scale events involving diverse, external stakeholders, government, and senior officials.
HOW TO APPLY
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. For more information on COSTI’s commitment to equity, visit the following link: http://costi.org/whoweare/equity.php.
COSTI is partnering with BIPOC Executive Search to ensure an applicant list that is diverse and is as intersectional as possible. All interested applicants can send their resume to Urmilla Khan by e-mailing email@example.com, or can apply through the BIPOC Executive Search mobile app.
In accordance with the AODA Act, for applicants living with a disability, accommodation will be provided throughout the search process. Should accommodations be required, please make Urmilla Khan aware by using the above address.
We thank everyone for their expression of interest—and are truly appreciative of the time individuals put into applying—but with the limitations of time only those selected for an interview will be contacted.