The City of Mississauga’s Planning and Building Department is looking for enthusiastic graduates that are interested in working in the challenging and ever-changing municipal environment. The Planner in Training Program is an exciting opportunity for recent graduates with interest in Land Development Services. In this program you will gain valuable experience within the City’ Planning and Building Department in areas such as land use planning, plans review, by-law review, research and analysis, counter support, community engagement activities and build a strong understanding of the municipal review/approval processes.
The Planner in Training Program is for a 36-month term and rotates the incumbents through various Divisions of the City’s Planning and Building Department, including City Planning Strategies, Development and Design, Building and the Commissioner’s Office. This rotation will provide the incumbents with a 'big picture' perspective of the department, foster relationship building across the City and develop a multi-disciplinary skill set.Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Conduct research and data analysis on Projects, Applications, Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) hearings
- Obtain a general understanding of the entire development review process
- Participate in community engagement activities
- Participate in the infill housing site plan approval process
- Review basic plans and pool permit applications
- Support the business planning process for the Department and other organizational innovation
- Prepare memos, briefing notes and comments as part of internal reviews, and other correspondences as required
- Prepare responses to Councillor, public and internal stakeholder inquiries
- Attend preliminary meeting consultations
- Conduct site plan and architectural plan review
- Provide Customer service at the counter
- Support Planners on projects as required
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Recent graduate from a recognized University/College program such as Planning, Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Geography or Related field
- Eligible to obtain professional designation e.g. OPPI, RPP, OAA
- Demonstrated general knowledge of provincial and municipal regulations and policies
- Good interpersonal skills along with strong customer service and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Strong attention to detail and ability to conduct research and analyse market metrics and other data
- Good time management and organizational skills to be able to adapt to varying and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated creative thinking and problem solving skills to create effective solutions to problems
- Demonstrated ability to influence stakeholders and achieve project objectives in a timely manner
- Experience leading or supporting large projects and demonstrated project management skills
- Experience working with financial information considered an asset
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, with minimal supervision
- Must hold a valid class “G” Licence with a driving record in good standing and acceptable to the City A Driver’s Abstract will be required.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 36.13 - $ 48.17
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Organization Unit:P&B/Develop Planning Service
Department/Division/Section:P&B/Planning & Building Dept,P&B/Develop & Design Division,Develop Planning Service
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.