Do you want to help build a great city and be a part of something big, something special? If so, Development Engineering & Construction is looking for a Supervisor to lead a team of dedicated people to manage applications related to the development and redevelopment of all property types in Mississauga and the associated agreements required for the construction of municipal services.Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Manager, Development Engineering & Construction, this position will:
Skills and Qualifications
- Supervise, coach and mentor a team of Technologists and Coordinators;
- Oversee, on behalf of the Transportation & Works Department, the coordination, review, commenting and approval of all Planning Act application types and associated agreements; including technical reports to ensure that all financial, legal, property and engineering obligations are fulfilled;
- Provide direction and technical support to engineering consultants, contractors, developers, etc. as required on matters related to Transportation & Works development requirements;
- Respond to development related complaints received through Councillor’s offices, 311, other City departments and external agencies;
- Prepare and review reports to Committees and Council regarding development application related matters;
- Represent the Transportation & Works Department at Planning & Development Committee meetings, including evening community meetings as needed, or when the Manager is unable to attend;
- Participate and represent Development Engineering & Construction as a working team member on external and multi-departmental initiatives;
- Attend meetings organized by the offices of the Mayor and Members of Council, other departments, developers, consultants, the public and outside agencies as required, to provide information/direction regarding development construction related matters;
- Monitor and track the operations of the unit to ensure that development review timelines are met;
- Continuously look for improved business processes in the City's development review process;
- Assist with the development and update of policies, procedures and technical standards for development-related municipal servicing and infrastructure;
- Perform other related duties as assigned
This position will supervise a technical team comprised of technologists and coordinators who are responsible for the Transportation & Works Department's review, commenting and setting of approval conditions of all Planning Act applications.
- Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university and registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in municipal engineering or similar public sector engineering environment is required;
- Strong knowledge of urban planning processes relevant to the engineering, municipal servicing and infrastructure requirements of land development, including Province of Ontario statues, regulations and guidelines such as the Planning and Municipal Acts;
- Must be proficient in reading and interpretation of engineering drawings, specifications and engineering documents;
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in leading or managing staff is preferred with demonstrated leadership ability for coaching, developing and leading a team through times of continuous change while maintaining a positive, healthy and productive work environment;
- Leadership competencies include strategic agility, business acumen, communication and relationship building, developing culture and people, driving change and taking accountability;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders and audiences with differing views and perspectives including Mayor and Members of Council, the public and community groups; strong negotiation and problem solving skills;
- Strong strategic and decision making skills balanced with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and transfer information and knowledge in a formal and informal environment along with solid written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of City standards and construction practices relevant to the engineering, municipal servicing and infrastructure requirements of land development,
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office; knowledge and/or experience with Max, ePlans, SAP, and eScribe;
- A valid Ontario Driver's License Class "G" is required in order to conduct site visits or attend meetings as required.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 93,120.00 - $ 124,160.00
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Infrast Planning & Eng Serv Div,Development Engineering & Constr
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.