The Ministry of the Attorney General offers a challenging opportunity in the Office of the Children's Lawyer for a litigation counsel to provide representation for children in the Property Rights Department on a wide variety of estates and trusts, and civil litigation files.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Duties will include:
• Having carriage of a high volume of complex estates/trusts and civil litigation files in which you will act as counsel to the Children's Lawyer, who represents the interests of minors. This work includes drafting legal documents and attending at applications/motions/mediations/discoveries/appeals.
• Providing strategic advice to the Children's Lawyer on estates/trusts and civil litigation files.
• Supervising agent lawyers across Ontario.
• Presenting at legal education forums and other engagements on the property rights of minors.
• The successful candidate must be prepared to work onsite a minimum of three days per week.
How do I qualify?
• Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario
Technical Legal Knowledge
• Demonstrated experience in estates and trusts and civil litigation
• Appearances before different levels of court, including the Superior Court of Justice
• Knowledge of estate administration and estate accounting
Other Essential Skills
• Demonstrated advocacy and negotiation skills
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated legal research skills
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Proven ability to organize, prioritize, and deliver results
Salary Range: Commensurate with Legal Experience
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 393 University Avenue, Toronto, Toronto Region, Criminal Record Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential. For issues with submitting applications, or questions, please contact CSMD.HR.LegalCompeti@ontario.ca.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 203734, by Friday, September 22, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.